Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walk-through on the creation of Buffo's "Rising" beam show. (Pangolin Showtime)

Lightbulb Walk-through on the creation of Buffo's "Rising" beam show. (Pangolin Showtime)

Hey folks;

Lots of people have asked me how I write shows. And others have asked specifics about my "Rising" show, which has always been one of my favorites. So a while back I started writing down what I could remember about the show creation process, while simultaneously stepping through the show segment by segment and trying to explain what I was doing on the timeline.

It turned into quite the large document! So large, in fact, that I'm not going to post the text here. I'll attach the document in Rich Text File (.rtf) format so anyone can download and read it. It will be zipped to save space. It's probably best if you have Showtime open with the Rising show loaded up before you start wading through all the text though.

I will apologize in advance for the excessive verbiage. But I wanted to cover as much of the show as possible - to the point that someone could probably re-create the show from scratch with the help of this document plus a video of what the show originally looked like. Also, as most of you know, I tend to run on more than a little bit anyway, and this is painfully evident in the document!

Nevertheless, if you really want to know how I put that show together, this will tell you, in excruciating detail. And along the way, you might learn a little bit about how I go about making shows, and that could help you with your own shows. Or you might just fall asleep... Either way, I assume zero responsibility!

I will say this though: if you think it is a chore reading through the entire document, consider for a moment the time it took me to write and edit it!

Lase on, people...

Adam

Buffo's guide to the RISING beam show.zip

Holy crap! Well done.
    I can't imagine how long that took to write up.

Thank you for a glimpse into the mind of Buffo.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I think it's fair to say that, had Pangolin not created Quickshow... I would still just be enjoying other peoples effort and not have even remotely tackled LD2000. It also makes me realize just how amateurish my 6-7 hours of creating a 3.5 minute song really is. Well done!
    PM Sent...

Adam,

Do you have a youtube link for this show. I don't own Pangolin software but would like to follow your thought process while seeing the show.

Also what is the name of the artist for this song.

Thanks
    Salty
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Here is it played at my place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8vY9uCafsM

I have this one and then this one that would be a audience scanned verison - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcngdyOeyg8

I have another one of Adam seeing it for the first time in my place as well somewhere - just need to find the link. It was shot with his Go Pro so the quality is a little better.
    PM Sent...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

buffo should make more shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post

I have this one and then this one that would be a audience scanned verison - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcngdyOeyg8

I have another one of Adam seeing it for the first time in my place as well somewhere - just need to find the link. It was shot with his Go Pro so the quality is a little better.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post

Ahh yes now I remember this show. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    Agreed, but in LSX so I can enjoy them in my house.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    Agreed, but in LSX so I can enjoy them in my house.
    naturally!

let's corner him and program his brain for LSX.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ok - here is the other video. (There are two of Adam's shows on it.) The projector positioning and zone set up that night happened to be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9WrYrjdj0
    PM Sent...

Smile

Thanks Chris! I'm actually working on a few at the moment. It's been far too long since I've released anything new, and I have lots of ideas for shows. (Just no time...) I should have something new for SELEM though.

let's corner him and program his brain for LSX.
    I have a copy of LSX, but it hasn't been updated since 2011. I was working with Andrew on a couple issues with QM-2000 compatibility back then when he sort of fell off the planet for a while. Never got back into it with him. Still, I suppose I could try to bang out something with the old version I still have.

Adam