Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need input for SELEM location this summer

Exclamation Need input for SELEM location this summer

Hey folks!

OK - with summer fast approaching I need to nail down the details for the South Eastern Laser Enthusiast's Meeting for 2007. Right now the working date for the event is the last weekend in July, which would be Saturday, July 28th and Sunday, July 29th. (If there are *lots* of conflicts, we can talk about changing that date - it's not carved in stone just yet - but for now there is another issue I'd like to discuss...)

I'm faced with a choice of two possible locations for this summer's gethering, and I'd like to hear your input on each one:

Choice # 1 is a private residence located in central North Carolina. It's within an hour's drive of the Charlotte International Airport. The location is less than 5 miles from a major Interstate highway, and there are numerous hotels and motels available in the area. The residence is situated on a large lot (several acres) that is surrounded by trees. There is a large barn/shed in back that would be used for indoor laser shows. I don't have the exact dimentions, but it's slightly bigger than choice # 2 below. Larger projectors and lasers could also be set up outside, provided that prior arrangements were made to ensure we have a generator present to provide power. (We will have roughly 100 amps of 220 single phase to play with inside.) About the only downside is the lack of air conditioning inside the large shed. (Remember, we're talking the end of July here.)

Choice # 2 is a private meeting building located in downtown Orlando, Florida. This meeting room is less than 20 minutes drive from the Orlando International Airport. It is less than 2 miles from I-4, and there are plenty of hotels in the area, though they are probably quite a bit more expensive than the ones in North Carolina. The meeting room is about 25 feet wide by 65 feet long. (It's the location we used for FLEM back in January.) There is 110V power available, and we can probably use the stove outlet in the kitchen to pull 40 to 50 amps of single phase 220v power if we need it. But large frame ion lasers are out of the question here.

So, given the pros and cons of each location, what do you guys think? Which location would work better for you, and why?

I need to make a decision in the next couple weeks, so if you're thinking about attending SELEM this summer (especially if you're planning to bring equipment), please voice your opinions now.

Adam

Due to the funds and job constraints at this point , Charlotte is a good local for me at this time. I am searching a couple of potential sites south of town...about a 20 min drive. I have a meeting with one of them 19 May. I was hoping that Dreambeamz would help to locate something close as he is in that area. I have located several outside sites.....not acceptable. There has got to be a venue somewhere...that fits the bill. I have not contacted the National Guard as of now to investigate rental/usage of a large facility. I have opted to search for indoor sports buildings and have found a lot of them, but no reply as of now to report. A basketball arena would be great accept for the lack of lots of power outlets. I will check on a hangar in Greenville,S.C. but I think he will not want his aircraft to be left outside for that length of time.....looking into other options as I type........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Check this out...I have found a lot of very usable spaces in Dallas,N.C also.......http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...ble/Indoor.htm
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Thumbs up Re: help with venue selection

Hi Mecheng!

I didn't know you spoke with George about finding a venue. But I appreciate the help!!!

The places you linked to all look *very* nice, but the cheapest one is still $275 for a non-county resident for a weekend. (That's the per-day price, and it's for just 5 hours, there's an extra per hour fee after that.) I think by the time we paid for 10-12 hours per day for two days we would be talking about $1200. I don't know if we can raise that kind of cash in the short time frame we have.

I like your idea of an indoor sports arena... That would give us lots of space. Power problems could be worked around. Extension cords, etc. Worst case, we could rent a small generator for the weekend. George's business partner Jeff said he knew a place that rents large 3-phase ones for $125 per day. Then too, I've got a 5KW unit I could bring.

Another good idea would be a school, or the national guard armory like you mentioned. I've no idea how to go about asking for such a place though. (I'd think you'd almost need a contact inside the organization...)

I'm open to all suggestions though. If we can get one of the other ideas to work, that's great.

The two choices I listed above are up there simply because they're *FREE*. While they might not be perfect, cost is an issue we need to consider. (Unless we want to start charging registration fees and all that, which I really would prefer to avoid...)

And just to sumarize, a North Carolina location is going to be better for you due to job/travel restrictions, right?

Anyone else have a problem with traveling to Florida in case we can't get a venue in North Carolina?

Or, for that matter, does anyone have a problem traveling to North Carolina?

Adam

I have not spoke with him...... I just hoped he would help out with finding a location as he lives in the area. I wish I could take a few days off to look myself. I may have to do something........

Well being from Florida I`m all for the Orlando site. And just for the record no matter where have it we need air conditioning. As for motels in Orlando when I was at Flem I belive we paid $65 for the night.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Cool More details on SELEM; NC locations looking good!

Hey guys...

Well, it looks like the North Carolina location is firming up. (Sorry about that, Fred!) Right now we have one firm commitment located in zip code 27292. It's the private residence mentioned above, although there are a few additions that make it a lot more favorable:

First, there is a 30 x 30 space that is insulated and air-conditioned, in addition to other indoor spaces that we could use, plus nearly 6 acres of outdoor space to set up large frame lasers and projectors.

Second (and perhaps most importantly), there will be 3 phase power available! Not a generator; 100 amps of either 208 or 240 (not sure which yet) 3 phase power wired right into the building(s) out back.

Third, there *may* be a second location close by that could be made available for family members to use. (This would be for the ones that are not interested in lasers.) The second location has an outdoor, in-ground pool and an entertainment area that could be used by the wives and children of the attendees. Details on the availability of this location to follow soon.

In addition, we are still looking into the possibility of using the National Guard Armory or an indoor sporting arena in that area to host the event. But this would limit the food and drink allowed (no alchohol and no grilling/cooking on site), and may also pose power problems. If we do decide to go with one of these locations, it will be close enough to the 27292 zip code that people will not need to change their plans.

Adam

My vote's for NC
    And yes, with the amount of heat being generated by the equipment, air-cond would be necessary (for the lasers' comfort as well as ours
    Last edited by steve-o; 05-09-2007 at 05:50.

My vote's for NC
    I`m all for the Orlando site
    This may go nowhere fast! Of course being from Florida, I'd prefer the Orlando site as well, but we did do that last time and it may only be fair if it were further north next time...

David

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DZurcher View Post
    This may go nowhere fast! Of course being from Florida, I'd prefer the Orlando site as well, but we did do that last time and it may only be fair if it were further north next time...

David
    BOOO hisss BOOO!!! Who said life was fair? I keep tellin my girlfriend's nephew it's not, so suck it up...

I'll keep my vote, cause if it's not here I can't go. I'll wait for the vids... No auto foucs Adam. Maybe those who go can could set up a web cam and set up a netmeeting and those that can't go can watch and maybe participate virtually.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin