Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 month old in stage lighting world-question regarding the sund ALSDC-RGB-1000

Default 1 month old in stage lighting world-question regarding the sund ALSDC-RGB-1000

so yea i just got my new full color 1w laser, most expensive one i have so far as well, and i have no idea as to program or even download other animations to the sd card...and although i got it working no problem in sound mode and playlist, playshow modes, the directions were a bit off as most directions are when shipped from china...im wondering why this laser didnt come with a remote...i mean i am just playing around with it in my room right now, and im finding it to be a pain to keep having to get up and press buttons. wondering how dmx works with this...anyway any feedback would be rad...oh if this is the wrong forum for this, let me know as well..i do have some pretty cool handheld laser pointers too...Good to be here amongst fellow enthusistes...expensive hobby

hey chum...

welcome to PL. Why don't you fill in your location so we can all come stalk you!?!? (kidding obviously). Locations help for you in case there is a member close to you who could physically come help you.

As for your questions...

1) DMX (although most of us don't use this type of control) is rather simple. You need some sort of controller. Some DMX controllers can be VERY cheap. Like $50-$100. And (i am drastically dumbing this down) you pretty much move sliders and hit buttons. Example---

Channel 1 slider controls the lasers color. Channel 2 slider controls the lasers output size. Button 1 toggles the built in images...etc (again, i made this OVERLY simple...)

The built in SD card...i have never personally used any of these. So i am unsure. But i am pretty sure there is basic programs already "built into" the card. You simply hit "play" and watch it do its thing.

The best way to use even the lower end, Chinky Dinky Twinkie Linkie Lasers is to use some sort of Computer control. Pangolin Flashback with Quick Show, Beyond. There are some more "beginner" controllers and more affordable hobbyist level controllers available also. But i have been out of the loop for a little while so i will let others chime in.

Please feel free to ask questions and learn. 1 watt of laser, while these days seems like nothing, *can* be dangerous under careless conditions. So be aware of your surroundings and where your beams may be projecting.

Again, welcome!!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

In the amount of time it would take you with the multiple freeware tools needed to create a show with an SD card (huge learning curve, DOS like interfaces with NO mouse support) , you could earn enough money to get a FB3 or LSX with a RIYA or Etherdream DAC.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Agreed. The process of trying to create things to download to an SD card that can be played by your laser is an arduous process at best. I've never done it nor do I ever have any intentions of it but, I've read on here about peoples stories of trying to do it. There is an issue of what ILDA format the show, graphic, animation or whatever is in. How to set it so your laser can read it. And so forth.

First question is whether this laser has what's called an ILDA connection on it. That's a socket on the back with 25 pins (called a db25). Really, in the grand scheme of things, that's the best way to control your laser. You would have a software program on your computer (my suggestion is Quickshow) that runs the laser and a device that plugs into a USB port called a DAC. The DAC has the other end of that db25 and you just need a db25 cable between the DAC and the projector. That will enable you to have complete control of everything it does. Purchase of Quickshow, from a company called Pangolin, will also give you access to better than a hundred shows that are available on their show portal that you can freely download. You'll have to obtain the actual songs - whether that be your own CD's or, an mp3 download from iTunes or whatever since laser shows in most cases, cannot be distributed with the music for licensing reasons.

A "remote" isn't commonly found with most laser projectors so, I'm not surprised you didn't get one.

Oh and yes, a 1 watt laser is still not a toy. Just like your handhelds, they can blind people and if you're careless enough, start a fire.
    PM Sent...

Default thanks all

hey, sorry it took a bit t0 get back to you all. i bit of tragedy struck my family. anyway, yea i do have a dmx controller already, however i rarly use it. on top of my projector, i have dual moveable heads, shinp dual purple and green, the jellyfish from american dj. and a couple of those chinky dinky lasers you refered to... i actually just tripped, so to speak, into this hobby. Im 38 and very recently divorced with a 4 year old little girl. Im a auto mechanic by profession for lexus, so my lexus gs300 is already modded and max out to hilt, i needed to find something to occupy my thoughts and low and behold after only a month i feel i got a pretty good start on my toys. and yes this laser does have the port that someone below asked if it did.. obviously im not using the full potential of this projector. does this software have a trial period, or does it ever go on sale? ive kinda over spent this past month already and i dont want to get overly in debt over my head if you know what i mean. I know i have a million questions, im not sure of a way to word them..i do have a youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPY...cG8pyQvx4OD4YA if you have time and wanna check out a couple videos of my setup up and offer any critism or advise...it would be greatly appriciated..

thanks again everyone and i will go and update where i live...corona cali btw

james

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

First and foremost, get the laser up higher in your rig. Up where the Shinp is. You're about face height in the video of your 4 year old girl. You're using a cheap Asian projector. That combination spells potential "accident". As a father... how would you like to potentially live with knowledge that your cool, mid life crisis toy permanently affected your daughters vision by your carelessness, or lack of knowledge about this cool "thing" you got that, remember..... they do surgery with.

Yes, I sound like a dick but, there is a certain amount of responsibility you need to accept when buying a laser projector. It's not a strobe light, or a American DJ jellyfish or, a blacklight from Spencer's gifts. They won't do permanent damage to your eyesight. You can't light a cigarette off the light they produce. Anyway, rant over... It's just something to think about and I'd hate to see you, your daughter or friends have an accident that could have been prevented by simply gaining a little knowledge.

About Quickshow... no, not a trial period. At least in the traditional sense of the word. You need more than just the software. Quickshow is a software and hardware package. The software speaks to a box (called a Flashback 3) that interprets the computer speak and makes it into what the laser understands. All laser control devices work in basically this manner. You've spent the money on the laser so, you better accept you need the money to control it with. A similar analogy would be your telling someone... You bought the Lexus. You better be able to afford me to take care of it and provide it's maintenance.

Retail its $595 but there are sources as low as $300. Yes, it's a trial version in that, if you buy it and then decide to get out of the hobby or don't like it, you should be able to sell it and recoup basically what you paid for it. You can download a demo and, you can also watch a large number of excellent tutorials on Youtube to see what it can do. You'll actually be able to control your Shinp, your jellyfish and perhaps other lights with it as well and let them do more than spazz and flail in sound active mode.

Go ahead and ask your million questions. That what we're here for.
    PM Sent...

hi there...thanks for your critizism...maybe i mis informed you all...first yes i do understand the dangers, and my 4 year old has been in my "office" once while i had the scanner or any others on...i wouldnt dream of hurting that little girl...that said if you notice i have the scanner pointing in a different direction then all others, kinda to the side...i was thinking that that would be safe, if im wrong tell me. and yes i am guilty of walking in and out of the beams myself...im just wondering if i were to point it up and raise it how it would interact with all the other stuff going on and how clearly u could make out whats being projected...

on that note. im ready to lay down some cash for the software...if anyone knows of anyone that is selling or where i could find used software please let me know...i keep hearing about a dac? is that basically the hardwear interface between softwear and laser?

one more thing...looking at my equipment thus far, if my goal is to eventually be up for hire. what is my next logical purchase?

thanks again

Your next purchase should be LSO (laser safety officer) training in preparation for your FDA Variance application. You'll want to understand the various measurements/lingo surrounding the craft and also have a handle on the legal requirements to perform safely and within the law. Once you've completed that, you'll find that your "chinky dinky" lasers (and any others that don't confirm to FDA performance standards) are not legal for use within the US (public display) and you'll embark on 1) figuring out how to modify and report to FDA that your newly modded lasers are legal, or more commonly, 2) start buying US legal projectors.

Once you've got your Variance, the requisite knowledge surrounding do's and don'ts, and some US legal kit, then you're golden and can start hiring yourself out.

My recommendation for gear depends upon how serious you want to be. If you're mainly going to do DJ type stuff and be up on stage, then I recommend some of the low-end X-Laser products, they can get you into a Variance nearly pain-free and provide some great effects to spice up your show. If you want to be front of house as a dedicated laser operator then you'll want more fancy lasers. The field widens as you get into this realm, but X-Laser would still be a great choice. All in all, you're about to find out how deep the rabbit hole actually goes. Bring a parachute.
    Last edited by hitekvoop; 07-04-2015 at 09:50.

so my projection laser wont pass either correct? and i took your advise and moved it up above the shinp...actually i like it up there...i posted a video of that very thing too...let me know if this is what you were saying...and thanks for taking the time out to provide me with your knowledge...

i was looking around a bit today and saw a 5watter that looks fun!

oh and i will check out xlaser for sure thank you sir...
    and yea...that 5watt projector is only 16 k....yikes. so there is a question...most people, im sure, start out on lower scales and work their way to bigger and better...ive already given away hand me downs and ive been only at it for a little over a month...so do you guys wish you just spent the money on the real shit instead of wasting it on crap? not factoring in advacemet in technology of course