Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jig for glueing galvo mirrors?

Would you know it I fixed the problem.. or well sorta.. I tried another projector.. while my projector at my desk works just fine I tried another of my projectors... strange same wobble and x axis only.. So I went to the loft got my big isolation transformer.. put it in between and bam.. the wobble is gone.. somethings up with the AC power on my group here something is causing a lot of noise or a ground loop?

Ryan, I've mixed several quantities of Araldite many times, quarter dollar amount, half dollar, one dollar....
    and always trying to get perfect 50% mix...but many...and I say many times, its a bit gummy when cured. You can check it for instance nailing a needle on it when its cured. Also, have expansion-contraction when temp changes

However this is with Ceys Araldite (Pic below)..not Loctite, maybe I tried bad compound?
    http://cat1.cdnaki.es/_imagecache/da...z1200x1200.jpg

Anyway, happy with Arctic silver now, very high quality, super hard when cured
    cheers
    Jordi

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    The trick to the 5 minute epoxy is to mix plenty of it... if you only try to mix enough to do a mirror it surely will not cure... i mix about a half dollar amount whether im gluing 1 mirror or ten. I use the loctite 5 minute epoxy from any hardware store.

A jig is very helpful. From personal experence and using custom test patterns Bill made, we have found that the mirror not being axially aligned with the shaft even by 0.002" can cause problems in the projection in terms of horizontal/vertical skewed lines, and being off center excites resonances easily noticable in certain test patterns..

Making a mirror mounting jig is certainly the way to go. That is how we mount all the mirrors on the C506 and Saturn scanners at Pangolin with very few and far between issues... it can take a while to get them set perfectly under the microscope depending on mirror size but once they are set, they're worth their weight in gold and we can mount 5-8 mirrors at a time with one batch of quick cure epoxy.
    Last edited by jors; 06-27-2015 at 12:13.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Would you have such a mount ? are they universal or made per scanner type?
    The ones we use Bill and I designed specifically for the C506 scanner with the laminated stack, and also work for certain mirrors on our Saturn series. They were custom made specifically for our scanner in that the mirror support locations were placed specifically for each of our common mirror sets 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, and so on. Im sure they would work with other scanners to some extent as long as the OD is less than a half inch or so, but I have never tried it...

As for epoxy.... we typically use this, although are always testing different formulations for flatness and other properties,,,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epxy_qset_s.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	47472
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Thanks Ryan! I'll try as well

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Do you have access to these CAD files still?
    ... not of the complete rig, but here is one of the simpler 'fixing-helpers' for the medium sized mirrors:

Name:	Spiegelhalterung.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	261.6 KB 
ID:	47473

Viktor

I had a vague memory someone 3d printed a jig.. Maybe Junktronix?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I had a vague memory someone 3d printed a jig..
    If they come forward, I'll be happy to - LOAN - these:

Name:	6800_Mir_jigs.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	47586 ...to said-person, for the purpose of Dev'ing some models for the Community.. For galvos other than 6800s (which these were made for..) I think all that would be needed would be to mic-out the barrel-sizes of several popular 'close-in-size' models (DT_xx; PT_xx; CT_xxxx, etc) and model the variants, and then people can 'order, to-suit' - The quintessential beauty of 3D printing.

Lemme know...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

What kind of scanner and what size mirror? I designed and 3D printed mirror mounting jigs for 6230's with some huge mirrors made for 10-12mm beams. They worked great, but I don't think it'd scale down to 6800's with standard 3mm aperture mirrors. Fortunately, I have one of the original Cambridge jigs for those.

That's an interesting design that could easily be 3D printed. I can't quite figure out how the mirrors are held in place though.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    If they come forward, I'll be happy to - LOAN - these:

Name:	6800_Mir_jigs.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	47586 ...to said-person, for the purpose of Dev'ing some models for the Community.. For galvos other than 6800s (which these were made for..) I think all that would be needed would be to mic-out the barrel-sizes of several popular 'close-in-size' models (DT_xx; PT_xx; CT_xxxx, etc) and model the variants, and then people can 'order, to-suit' - The quintessential beauty of 3D printing.

Lemme know...
    j

if 3D printing doesn't work I could have a go at milling something
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat