Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jig for glueing galvo mirrors?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Junktronix View Post
    ...can't quite figure out how the mirrors are held in place though.
    The 'side-arms', there, swing up and 'clasp' the sides, so the vertical-positioning is stable during epoxy-cure.. Finally had a minute to stick an 6800-X body in there, to show 'how it works'..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6800 MntRig.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	47871 ..Yes, the "mirror" in this shot is faked - Just a quickie photoshop comp (I didn't have any 'loose' X or Y's, with mirrs, and did not wanna take one out of a working Pj just for the photo-shoot..) But, I'm sure you get the point, ya? Quick, easy, and stable..

..Lemme know if you wanna 'borrow' to model / print, for the benefit of the Comm, and I can send it up in a small flat-rate..

fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

that design requires different ones for each scanners as im sure most are different sizes
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Brilliant...so who has a 3D printer doing sweet FA? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anyone.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.0 KB 
ID:	47875
    Cheers

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    that design requires different ones for each scanners as im sure most are different sizes
    ..Thus, the beauty of having someone scan / model these in Solidworks, et al, and built-out all the variants / set up the 'Print' files, etc, my dear Watson.. And, I'm sure these could be 'simplified', ie: Those 'arms' don't really need to have screws / be movable, unless someone is planning to 'change mirror sizes' frequently.. Really, you could simply 'model' each scanner variant / mirror size (ie: Here's Model / Print File X, for CT 6800s, with 3mm Mirs; Here's Model / Print file Y, for DT-40s, with 5mm Mirs; Here's Model / Print file for EMS-8000s w/ 8mm Mirs.. etc, etc, etc .. )

..I'm sure someone could quite easily set up an 'Online store / shop', with a pull-down order form, etc for each major-manuf. of galvos (those chosen to BE-supported, of course..) to spec. scanner body / model / mirr-size, and whether the person wanted 'fixed' support-arms, for simple repairs (could feature 'slotted ends' in each side-arm, to simply 'slide' the mirror into, side/side, then it would be fixed in the shaft / supported at the back, there..) or a 'Pro' set, which would have the little screws / adjustable arms, so one could 'vary' the mirror-used (this would be, say, for a 'Service' Co. that would be frequently servicing inbound scanners w/ varying-size mirrs for repair, etc..) Just a thought..

fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

....Who exactly, is the someone you had in mind
    Cheers

What kind of scanner and what size mirror? I designed and 3D printed mirror mounting jigs for 6230's with some huge mirrors made for 10-12mm beams. They worked great, but I don't think it'd scale down to 6800's with standard 3mm aperture mirrors. Fortunately, I have one of the original Cambridge jigs for those.
    Ah the scanners are cheap scanners but I feel like its a waste to leave them mirrorless. glueing the mirrors ball park just doesn't cut it for me though or I just suck at glueing mirrors.

Nevertheless I measured these scanners:
    3.52cm long
    1.55cm diameter on the shaft
    feedback barrel end is about 2.3cm

Scanner mirror * I have to order new proper ones is cm long and 0.5cm wide

@John I prefer to have something myself It would be cool if one could figure out a template for SCAD or something where you'd fill in certain dimensions and the mount would scale to adjust those needs.. Sadly a design would need to be made with shrinkage of the plastic in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post

Brilliant...so who has a 3D printer doing sweet FA? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anyone.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.0 KB 
ID:	47875
    Cheers
    I have a 3D printer here I build like 1 and a half year ago now or so???
    It works fine but it can be unreliable sometimes.. It has done beautifull prints though

@masterpj or anyone interested: I can make a CAD for a 3d printed or a CAD for laser cut jig (2D pieces assembled together).
    I'd definately recommend using laser cut and assembled mirror gluing jig instead of 3d printed ones unless you have an expensive 3d printer, the ones popping up from startups from 2012 and onward are unreliable for this kind of accuracy in my opinion, too much backlash from low quality mechanical parts.

Just give me an idea how it should work. Modifying it to work with different scanners should be easy.

Hopefully I may jmup in and ask .. Is there anyone that can mount different mirrors to Cambridge 6215 on a fee basis? I have two sets that need bigger mirrors put on them. The last time I needed this work done I believe that OSLS did it for me, but I don't think that is an option anymore. Is anyone doing this service now for $$ ?

I could modify these to work with 6215's if you want to have a go at it yourself.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1633913

I could modify these to work with 6215's if you want to have a go at it yourself.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1633913
    That jig looks awsome! How reliable is it though with 3D printers having pretty random accuracy?