Thread: New to Lasers, Looking for Suggestions

Default New to Lasers, Looking for Suggestions

Hey PL, not sure if this is the right section to post in but I didn't see a greetings board and my topic more relevantly fits here.

I'm brand new to the world of lasers but interested in learning a lot more. Seems like most sites on the net are pretty sketchy or just all-out jargon, so it's a relief to find a place that seems more grounded and helpful.

My situation looks like this: I'm interested in grabbing my first laser--just a little house party one. I was recommended Chauvet Scorpion and the Blizzard Kaptivator or Mezmerizor.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm almost positive these aren't great lasers. The person who recommended them probably didn't do much research/have a lot of knowledge on the subject--one that seems very dense and complex--but he owned one or two and they looked great when I saw them.

That being said, I'm looking for some help while I learn more about lasers. As I understand it, safety is a really big (if not the biggest) aspect to be concerned with, along with choosing a laser that correctly fits the size of the party.

a.) Are these lasers a good suggestion for a house party/budget topping out around $500? And if not, which might be?
    b.) Are there any threads/other sites you might recommend I check out to get a general grasp of laser tech?
    c.) I've read about needing FDA approval for (certain?) lasers. I'm in AZ USA and am unsure whether approval is required for safety, commerce, or both? And if so, are these FDA approvals/licensing going to be required for my use of these house party style lasers? I will not be charging money for the parties.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to meet others and learn more about laser tech.

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:49.