Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiments with audio

Default Experiments with audio

Today I started work on a system to allow musicians to paint lasers with music.

Step one was FFT (Fast Fourier Transformation) To generate signals based on frequency spectrum. 7 bands across the audible range.

https://youtu.be/FPRoPmXQiUc

Step two translate each band (level) To a MIDI continuous controller packet.

Step three map these CC messages in Quick Show.

Early days (day one lol) but I have results.

https://youtu.be/YgfYRayE4GQ
    This space for rent.

I love this kind of stuff. I think you're on to something. This has a lot of potential.

Been waiting for this for years! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tired.gif 
Views:	121 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	47612
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	47613 Always thought best route would be quadrature analogue synthesizer (Moog/Fairlight style) but if you can extract LF parameters from a FFT that would be good enough 4 me!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThankYou..GIF 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	47614

Name:	worship2.gif 
Views:	122 
Size:	265 Bytes 
ID:	47615 PLEASE keep working on this! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twinkle.gif 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	47616
    Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 07-03-2015 at 21:41. Reason: VIVA los Ozzies !

A little more progress.

The fact it looks like a clock face is just chance.

This space for rent.

Yes, mapping frequency bands to cues (on/off above/below a threshold), colour, visible points, and angles.

I am doing this all on an Arduino microprocessor platform, audio processing and generation of MIDI messages.

QS is setup in Flash mode with multiple cues enabled.
    Last edited by dnar; 07-04-2015 at 21:08.
    This space for rent.

Any chance you can invent some kind of "envelope" detection to extract transition timing slopes, instead of stepped changes ?
    It's the Low Freq stuff which seems to be so difficult to identify for a machine
    That's maybe why the "tap to syncronize" thing took so bloody long to arrive in Pango.

Name:	idea.gif 
Views:	105 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	47647 maybe Steven Wolfram's image recognition language might help to detect long FT event patterns.
    <http://blog.stephenwolfram.com/2015/05/wolfram-language-artificial-intelligence-the-image-identification-project/> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	47648
    I found envelope & LFO signals most useful, when extracting signals from a sound synthesiser to a laser abstract.
    It seems to be more about how things move....than what they are ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trampoline.gif 
Views:	108 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	47649
    Consider Aaron's smiley .... what's bouncing doesn't matter.. how it bounces does!
    Had a long discussion about this with Bill(Pangolin) 25yrs ago in Italy, he finally managed to get a pingpong ball to bounce down a staircase with QM32 (quite a few hours work)...that's what made me buy one !
    He reckoned most of it was getting the ball to deform slightly when it hit the step.
    Whereas I thought that the lack of a "gravity" effect in QM was the main hangup.
    He just used a formula for the movement transition ... I would have approximated to a sin wave!
    Looked great when he finished .... but then syncing that to an external rythm (that's where the fun starts ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pcpunch.gif 
Views:	107 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	47650
    On the other hand he sort of finished it, where as I didn't know how. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zonked.gif 
Views:	106 
Size:	226 Bytes 
ID:	47652
    Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 07-04-2015 at 23:43.

Let me ponder this...

Today's results.

This space for rent.

Nice work!

Tracking the thread for interest...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Very cool werk, Dr Steel.. You know I am a huge fan of 'seeing the music', Laserium and-all...

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

My main system in my living room is only audio controlled at the moment and what i do is send stereo audio to a minidsp 2X4 http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...2-x-in-4-x-out and this allows me some control of the audio and then that is sent to a pioneer 20 watt car amp that has a balanced output (BTL) in this case for both channels, that drives two GS310 series open loop galvo to display a Lissajous display on the wall or celling , i have allways wanted to tray and do more with it and get a live rather then a programmed display, i am going to experiment with blanking and that clock display as well, i use mine all time and with in the last week i added a single mode blue laser to it so i can get different colors from it, here is a picture of the prototype

Name:	DSC02059.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	47697

Name:	DSC02065.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	47698

I really wish i had more knowledge of programming to get the effects from the posted videos but hey that's why i am here is try and learn this stuff. adding distortion and messing with the phase also can cause some neat effects.
    I would not want to do this with my main galvo's that are closed loop unless i realy limit the audio spectrum. they over heat with normal audio, the GS series don't have that problem but have a hard time above 500hz.
    I want to try and introduce this type of stuff to a friend of mine that likes the lighting effects but i think the best he has is a color organ he built him self.
    Last edited by Draco; 07-08-2015 at 14:28. Reason: some spelling
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu