Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 more days until Pluto

Default 7 more days until Pluto

Is anyone else following New Horizons? I have loosely been following it since launch but in the past 6 months, things have gotten more exciting. Now, it's only 7 days away from Pluto. The astronomy side of me is tingling quite a bit. What about you, DZ or anyone else?

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I can't believe it's been over 9 years since the start of this mission. I've also been "loosely following it," however now that it's only days away it is VERY exciting! Looking forward to seeing actual pictures of Pluto!

I watched this video this morning, absolutely incredible: http://gizmodo.com/watch-mars-opport...nut-1716179403

Hard to believe this is all happening in my lifetime, given 100,000+ years of homo sapien existence on earth.

I remember watching this launch and then the controversy over the status of Pluto as a planet. Seeing it closing in and the images of Pluto getting larger and more detailed has been very exciting. I am as excited about this as I was about Cassini-Huygens. Very cool considering that 100 years ago, we had barely mastered powered flight. Each generation has the right to say this but I feel good in saying that we live in some pretty exciting times.

Each generation has the right to say this but I feel good in saying that we live in some pretty exciting times.
    This is an ancient Chinese curse. It was referring to politics. This is why I enjoy the refuge of science so much. I'll bet even some of the most loathsome members of ISIS can look at this with awe and excitement. It runs right over earthy concerns.

Absolom,
    Thanks for the notice. I'll be following this closely now.

New LORRI images from the 7th. Pluto is getting bigger. The image quality surpassed that of Hubble about 3 months ago. These are just phenomenal.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounter/index.php

I remember the morons protesting the launch because of the plutonium reactor these have, these types of missions would be impossible with out that type of tech and i get excited when i read on the different types they use, i still shake my fist at them for demoting Pluto from planet status
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I remember the morons protesting the launch because of the plutonium reactor these have, these types of missions would be impossible with out that type of tech and i get excited when i read on the different types they use, i still shake my fist at them for demoting Pluto from planet status
    Yes on all counts. RTGs are the only way to go for these missions. The only real danger is during launch and even then, the odds are pretty damn low for contamination, let alone wide spread contamination. I still call Pluto a planet. Of all the TNOs, its orbit is closer to normal than the others. Eris may be larger but its perihelion and aphelion vary widely. Its orbital plane is WAY more inclined.

i still shake my fist at them for demoting Pluto from planet status
    I agree that doing this was unnecessary, but screw them. Pluto is what it is even if they decide to call it a dog.

I remember the morons protesting the launch because of the plutonium reactor these have, these types of missions would be impossible with out that type of tech
    Agreed. It would also be nice if these missions didn't involve big scarey rocket motors. I don't care to look, but let's hope the main propellent was LOX/H2 because we wouldn't want any JPL carbon debt.

As soon as the mushroom and Yurt crowed can get us some images or I should say become one with these fascinating places through astral projection then I'm all for it. Meanwhile...

Latest pic with added color data. Features on Charon are now becoming visible!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pluto_charon_150709_color_final.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	47712