Thread: Wanted -- to buy...

Default Wanted -- to buy...

I've gotten the impression from a brief once-over that the forums are for laser jocks (LJs?), I'm looking to get into holography. I don't know how big a change that is from what's discussed here, but I'd appreciate any help I can get on it since it's my first lab and I'm confronting a new lexicon (heh). I'm
    leaning toward a used 10 mw from meredith instruments unless I hear other suggestions...
    Thanks in advance.

Hi Stereofan

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. This is a brilliant place for ALL things laser related. I agree, the forum does tend to lean slightly to those building laser projectors, but there's LOADS of other information as well if you care to dive into the archives.

Regarding holography, I arrived at this Forum through my love of lasers and coherent light. When I first got interested in lasers I started with holograms and that is still one of my major interests. Can I suggest that you take a look at 'holographyforum.org' it's a brilliant Forum for anyone interested in holograms, they have a great beginners section and a 'Wiki' where you can pick up loads of knowledge.

The problem with lasers is that they are highly addictive - be warned !! I am still doing holography and enjoying it, but for a 'real' fix I need multi coloured coherent light AND LOTS OF IT!! The only way I could get my 'Photon Fix' was by getting into making an RGB laser projector. Great fun and highly recommended. Like all addictive things though, it's a real money pit !!

The lasers used for holography and those used for laser projectors are two entirely different beasts. For holography, stability (no mode hopping) of the laser is paramount as is a good gaussian beam profile. For laser projectors, the requirements aren't quite as exacting, but you need power.. generally the more the better !

The folks both here and on the holographyforum are a real nice, friendly bunch. Ask away with your questions and i'm sure you'll get decent replies.

Have you any sort of budget in mind for your holography setup? You'll need a very stable laser. Something like an old 10mw HeNe at the lower end of the scale (what I use) up to a Coherent C315M at the higher end (there's even better but it can cost megabucks!). Don't forget to budget for a spatial filter, this is essential for making clean holograms and will set you back quite a few dollars. Simple 'Denisyuk' or single beam reflection holograms are the easiest to start with but you can get some great results.

Cheers

Jem

Hello, the 10mW lasers from www.mi-lasers.com are pretty nice and a good deal too, but don't expect to get 10mW out of them. You might get 5-7 if you're lucky. It is still a good deal. I would recommend buying a 15 or 20mW one.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

If you need a laser for holography,I think I can supply you one.
    Maybe you can have a look at this url:http://www.viasho.com/e_523nm_3.htm

if you need,send me a PM

Default laser

Looks good at first, Frank. I'm looking at an ssy-1 laser as well; see what comes from that. Money is something of an issue, so I'm looking at whether to buy one complete or buy the parts with some elbow grease included. I'll drop you a line in a few days...

OK.Stereofan

I will wait for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by stereofan View Post
    Looks good at first, Frank. I'm looking at an ssy-1 laser as well; see what comes from that. Money is something of an issue, so I'm looking at whether to buy one complete or buy the parts with some elbow grease included. I'll drop you a line in a few days...

Why would you want a yag laser?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Why would you want a yag laser?
    Pulsed holography. SSY-1's allow insertion of a crystal into the cavity where the Q-switch normally goes (but then you'd need a new OC mirror coated appropriately). Even without intracavity doubling, a LOT of green can be had from a crystal in front of the OC mirror. It is a single mode beam, and single longitudinal mode too, and being a very fast flash, removes the need for extreme stillness for lengthy periods.