Thread: Wanted: Laser Meter/Profiler

Default Wanted: Laser Meter/Profiler

My lasercheck has finally died . Accuracy is now something around +/- 200% !. Not quite accurate enough for me.

If anyone has a decent quality meter , preferably a profiler, please drop me a line. Needs to do 400nm to 1200nm , up to 10 watts if possible. Cash awaits !

I can also trade , as I a few surplus bits still to move. Cases, diodes, mounts , optics , dacs, and various boards ( dmx, switching etc. I also have a surplus SDL800 driver for testing smaller diodes.

Thanks for looking.

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Battery dying? That might shift the accuracy before you noticed a lack of display in a Lasercheck. Someone here posted a link to a source of batteries. There is also a suggestion that you need to maintain power while making the exchange, to preserve a volatile program in memory. I'm not convinced that is true, but it is wise to assume it is.

As replacement, I suggest a Scientech head, bought cheap off eBay. If needed, recoat the TEC in it with activated charcoal loaded matt varnish (I posted a detailed post on this here, a search for 'charcoal' will find that.) If you have a couple of lasers with known stable power, you can calibrate it to a level equal to your last readings. Just read the mV out of the TEC on a good voltmeter. Divide the power in watts by the reading in volts to get a conversion constant for that head.

If you want profiling (which I take to mean monitoring over time in this case rather than looking at the gaussian profile of the beam), you can build a single op-amp gain stage with gain to match the scale factor, and feed that into anything that can data log a DC voltage, where V = W on 1:1 basis, and powers to >20W can be read given a 22V op-amp supply.

EDIT: If you're giving up that Lasercheck and wish to donate in the interest of me learning a bit, all contributions will be gratefully received. I've got one that works, so I don't want to crack it open, and things learned from a dead one might help me keep mine alive and pass info back to here.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 05-27-2007 at 11:52.

http://www.viasho.com/e_jg_9.htm

If you need a 0~10 Watts power meter,that will be a good choise.

Thanks Guys

I am really wanting a beam profiler if possible.

Makes for very accurate allignment and keeps the manufacturers on their toes !

If anyone is interested I have a Spiricon LBA200 IR Laser Analyser to sell/trade . It works with a Pyrocam II , which I don't have. Works prefectly, just needs the camera , or someone to adapt a camera to fit.

I also have a surplus SDL800 driver, perfect for setting up diodes and testing, that I can sell or trade.

Does anyone have any experience with the Little Guy profiler or V-Beam ( or any other budget profilers for that matter ) ?

All suggetions very welcome.

Thanks

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

do profilers also measure power?

I cant see any reference to power measurements on the little guy site..

BTW, we have personal experience with the Viasho power meters, and are more than happy
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Hi Dave

As far as I know , all profilers measure power , some might not, depends on the requirement I suppose. There aren't that many out there though, and most a very expesive.

To my knowledge most do, including the V-beam. I mentioned little guy because its cheap, but I don't have any experience with it, and like you, couldn't see any reference to power measuring.

They are also very useful for accurate rgb set up, as you can clearly see the overlap in realtime on your monitor. If you have reasonable mounts, setting up rgb super accurately becomes a breeze.

It will also help stop any arguments with the manufacturer's if you can send a full , comprehensive readout of the power and beam charecteristics , including 3d profile piccies, of the underpowered Tem 69 crap beam reject piece of junk I sometimes receive, after ordering a unit with specs that would make Quantum blush . I'm sure you've been there !

So they can be useful .

Regards

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk