Thread: GLS and ILDA file import

Default GLS and ILDA file import

Oh wise sages of the ILDA point cloud....

Just picked up a Riya Lite DAC with GLS... I've been poking around with it and it seems to be fairly decent BUT, I'm having a heluva time importing ILDA test frames into it. I'm trying to tune my scanners now that I have a program which allows you to actually set the scan speed to a known value. My problem is, when I try to import the ILDA, Quadrature and Lasermedia test frames, they either don't display properly (even on its built in visualizer) or it just gives me blank spaces in the catalogue windows.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right... ILDA importing is done thru PicEdit, via the Animator window. Import an ILDA frame to a specific frame, and save it as a catalogue OR send it to the editor.

All I want is a test pattern... hehe... this software doesn't seem to make it very easy to set your system up.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

GLS is based on the same program (LDS) as LSX so I can only make educated guesses.

-Maybe GLS can't import all ilda formats? Try my batch convertor (http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...atch-convertor) and see if there is a version that works for you, probably ilda format 0.
    -Test patterns are supposed to not display "properly" on screen, the most notable example is the circle in the Ilda test pattern which is around the square in the ilda file, but should be inside the square when scanned. Is this what you mean with "don't display properly"?
    -You should disable all optimisation for tuning: set to 30 kpps, set all interpolate sliders to maximum, set all extra point sliders to minimum, ... (maybe post a pic of the optimisation settings window so we can help more). Be careful when you do this: LSX has a test frame composed of a bunch of horizontal lines that are just two points at either end of the screen and when scanned with no optimisation, such large distances in such short time caused the poly switch on my amp to fail! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQznNuwFwOA Don't worry, it's working normally now but was quite scary...

I'll definately try that, I'm wondering if file type is a problem. I do remember seeing GLS can only handle type 0 files... but you'd think the test pattern WOULD be if it was supposed to be a standard, low-level test.

When I say looking strange, its that after importing I'm not even seeing a square, circle, half the words, the blanking delay line, anything. I get "I_D_" and 1_/3_K in the corners, a horizontal line, and thats it. If I switch to layer 1 from layer 0, it shows (in PicEdit at least) the "correct" pattern but with all points greyed out. If I dump the file into LFIPlayer it displays no problem, but I have no reference as to what its scanning at.. or supposed to be scanning at.

With regard to the 'I don't see anything in the frame after importing' regard, I know that at least LSX had an error or peculiarity on import that if your current frame active in the editor was the same as the frame you were importing to, it wouldn't import the first frame. If you were trying to import single frames, you'd end up with blank frames in that circumstance. That doesn't explain the other issues you've described, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case it solves one of your issues.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I did notice that bug after some trial and error. As it turns out it was a file format issue, coloredmirrorball's converter worked like a charm.

Now my issue is figuring out why im getting the results i am... if i load the quadrature frame into LFIPlayer, i get the expected result, 4 bright corner dots with slightly dimmer connecting lines. In GLS im seeing a rounded off square with consistent brightness. And if i set the point interpolation to maximum like mirrorball suggested, it looks like a squashed beer can, and no amouny of gain/daming adjust will fix it. If i bring it down to about 400, i get a perfect square which looks like its running at about 1k.

Ohhh what can of worms have i opened with my desire to optimize my cheapo scanners....

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by mtyndorf View Post
    I did notice that bug after some trial and error. As it turns out it was a file format issue, coloredmirrorball's converter worked like a charm.

Now my issue is figuring out why im getting the results i am... if i load the quadrature frame into LFIPlayer, i get the expected result, 4 bright corner dots with slightly dimmer connecting lines. In GLS im seeing a rounded off square with consistent brightness. And if i set the point interpolation to maximum like mirrorball suggested, it looks like a squashed beer can, and no amouny of gain/daming adjust will fix it. If i bring it down to about 400, i get a perfect square which looks like its running at about 1k.

Ohhh what can of worms have i opened with my desire to optimize my cheapo scanners....
    Yay, I made something useful! Where did you get those test frames? Did the format 0 work? All my test frames are format 0 so either you got them in a different format or GLS has trouble with format 0 files, both situations being a bit weird.

Can you use LFI player for tuning?

Don't give up though, tuning can be very rewarding. I went from this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3z7ld2n2b...ation.jpg?dl=0 to this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcjwztex6p...es%21.JPG?dl=0 !

I got the ILDA frame from the LaserFX website, and the quadrature & lasermedia patterns from the PL FTP.

I just re-zeroed the scanners to try and bring them back up using LFI.. as it turns out LFI player is a bit sensitive to how many things are on the USB bus in terms of output speed.. IE don't run it thru a USB hub.. hehe

Your first Lasermedia pattern looks a lot like mine did before I brought the scanners back to bare metal. I know there's a way to tune them using a scope but I don't have a function generator