Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC State Museum - planetarium laser shows

Default SC State Museum - planetarium laser shows

Someone recently told me about the SC State Museum in Columbia. I never heard about it before then in the 5 years I've been hear. It turns out they do laser shows in the planetarium. Unfortunately I missed out on one I would've liked to watch recently.

This show is currently ongoing until who knows when. It might be something they only do when school is out.

Legends of the Night Sky: Perseus and Andromeda Laser Show

This kid friendly laser light cartoon, narrated by Aesop the owl and Socrates the mouse, takes a lighthearted look at the myths and stories associated with the fall constellations of Perseus the Hero and Andromeda the Princess. Learn about Cepheus the King, Cassiopeia the Queen and Cetus the Sea Monster along the way! Show Run Time: 25 mins.

Legends of the Night Sky: Perseus and Andromeda showtimes for the current month

Mon. – Fri: 2:30 p.m.

Sat: no showings

Sun: no showings

I noticed this show was recently listed. I'm going to go even if nobody else I know wants too.

Laser Fun!

This fun planetarium show features an assortment of family-friendly songs by various artists set to an exciting laser light show. No matter your age, Laser Fun has songs for everyone, including “We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel, “ABC” by Jackson 5 and “Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac.Show Run Time: 40 mins.

Laser Fun showtimes for Tues., July 21 and July 28

Tues. Only: 7 p.m.

Adam, you know you want to go.

I've seen both of these shows, and they are *really* good, especially in a dome.

Sadly, there's no way I can make a 2:30 PM showtime during the week, so Legends of the Night Sky is out for me.

As for the 7 PM showing of Laser Fun on Tuesdays, I can't make the 21st but there is a chance I could do the 28th. I will keep an eye on my schedule, but if nothing changes we could probably make that happen.

Anyone else in the area up for a road-trip to Columbia on the 28th?

Adam

I might be able to make the road trip on the 28th. I gotta see if the wife and kids want to go check it out.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

I'll be going the 28th. I'll probably be with someone else though. She hasn't been to a laser show before. Knowing some of the stuff she enjoys, I'm sure she'll like the show. Maybe I'll get someone else over to the dark side. Or should that be the light side?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    I'll be going the 28th. I'll probably be with someone else though.
    Cool! I will be able to make it as well. And it looks like Jason is also going to be there... Anyone else want to join us? (How about DKumpula?)

She hasn't been to a laser show before. Knowing some of the stuff she enjoys, I'm sure she'll like the show.
    Hope she doesn't mind a few other laser geeks tagging along...

Maybe I'll get someone else over to the dark side. Or should that be the light side?
    Wait, what are we talking about again? For a minute it sounded like we took a detour into Kama Sutra territory.

Adam

That is some truly ancient show material I think it's old avi

Yeah, it's old AVI material. We've actually had "Legends of the Night Sky" displayed at SELEM one year. (With special permission, thanks to Pangolin, back in 2008.)

I've seen some of the other AVI shows at planetariums over the years. While they are a bit dated, AVI shows are still top-notch. I look forward to seeing this one again.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-20-2015 at 04:05. Reason: typo

Alright I am a for sure on this. Wife and kids are on board and my dad is going to come down from OH for his visit a little early just to catch the show. I'm going to shoot for a 6:30 arrival time.

Sounds good to me. I can be there anytime after about 4 PM. Maybe dinner before the show?

Adam

We prob can't get there early enough to do dinner but after the show we could go grab a pint or something. My dad can tell you about his days in the laser biz.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Sounds good to me. I can be there anytime after about 4 PM. Maybe dinner before the show?

Adam