Thread: Quickshow vs Beyond

Default Quickshow vs Beyond

Hi all,

I'm still using quickshow for the moment and have been thinking should I upgrade. Feedback so far is stick with Quickshow, it's more stable and has a lot of the features. I've got my head stuck into other things right now so not interested in the learning curve of the 3D side of things just yet.

I'd be very interested in any feedback on should I upgrade and will it help me with Laser mapping alongside resolume and an LCD projector.

Sorry if I seem a bit green, wish Pangolin would release a demo...

Thanks

I have both. I have learned QS qute well. When the holiday special pricing for upgrade to Beyond was announced I was tempted, and jumped on.
    It is quite a bit more features, and mapping of lasers (colorschemes - placing - sizing) is definently a whole lot better in Beyond. The 3D bit is something i have not had the time to investigate, mainly because it is highly unstable on all of my Lenovo PC`s.

Why pango still sticks to 32bit coding for both QS and Beyond I dont know. The 4GB memory limit hits hard if you want to have a lot of shows, or larger ildafiles at hand without deleting and loading.

The GUI and functions are all the same, and what you have learned in QS can directly be transferred to Beyond. No limits there.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Is there limitations in QS for things i need? Have i reached the limit inside QS for my creativity? Do i have the time and will to learn more new stuff?

If yes to this, i think an upgrade is the correct answer. Youtube have a lot of videos showing most of the Beyond features, so it would be a great place to investigate further.

I still do most shows in QS, simply because i want the possibility to use QS for the show, and then pick it up in Beyond later for refinement and to add more stuff. Shows made in Beyond will not be usable in QS.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I doubt I could have written a better answer than Datsurb. That basically sums it up perfectly.

Especially:

I still do most shows in QS, simply because i want the possibility to use QS for the show, and then pick it up in Beyond later for refinement and to add more stuff. Shows made in Beyond will not be usable in QS.
    I'm starting to hit some limitations in Quickshow and now will likely move those shows to Beyond to fix those small issues and leave them in Beyond.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    This caused me great deals of pain in a former life.
    Former life? Are you not coding anymore? Or did you simply move away from the Windows world?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Former life? Are you not coding anymore? Or did you simply move away from the Windows world?

Adam
    I guess the new version of the Italian noodles have been cut in two. It it now in 64 bits.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Quote Originally Posted by gandalfthegrey View Post
    Hi all,

I'm still using quickshow for the moment and have been thinking should I upgrade. Feedback so far is stick with Quickshow, it's more stable and has a lot of the features.
    Wrong. Beyond is very stable but is known to have low framerate problems with the QM2000 it rarely crashes these days.
    Beyond looks similar to QS but has a different colorscene and a LOT more features.

It would help with your laser mapping though some limitations might still be there with using other software but it's do-able to do but it's not a plug and play kind of thing this mapping with lasers.

Regarding the 4gb issue.. yes it can only adress that amount of memory but having a 64bit system means that if you have more then 4gb other applications will use that and your application "technically" could use the full apacity of the 4gb instead of being cut down by the OS.. however the amount of memory available to Beyond will be MORE then enough.

thanks for the feedback, can't get my head out of resolume since a festival last weekend, want to make walls come tumbling down, with some laser sparkle ...

Quote Originally Posted by gandalfthegrey View Post
    Hi all,

Feedback so far is stick with Quickshow, it's more stable and has a lot of the features.
    Not sure where you're getting your feedback from but I've never found Beyond unstable.

Sure there is the odd bug, but most get ironed out quickly. The fact is the bigger the programme, the more potential for bugs. However, I certainly wouldn't describe it as in any way unstable.

The question is as others have said, what do you want from your laser program? QS offers the basics. Beyond offers pretty much everything you can imagine and that includes probably a lot you'll never use. The question is therefore are there features ij Beyond that aren't in QS that you will? If the answer is yes, then it's a fine choice.

One other thing to point out is that some functions such as keying in the timeline are more accurate in Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I don't know but technically it isn't always possible when dealing with 3rd party components that are only available as 32bit modules. It would also require two different versions two support: 32bit and 64bit. BTW, the memory limit for 32 bit applications is actually considerably less than 4GB. Applications usually run out of memory before hitting the 2GB mark even though the address space is 4GB. This caused me great deals of pain in a former life.
    I believe the limit is 3GB with 1GB reserved for Windows and system processes.

That's one reason why I've been on 64bit systems for years. With a 64 bit application you're never likely to run out of memory with a decent hardware amount installed. I have 16gb in my system and don't think ever ever exceeded 7gb with a ridculous amount of processing going on.

Beyond at startup (nothing running) is currently 630mb.