Thread: Laser modules that work or at least don't die @ below freezing temperatures?

Question Laser modules that work or at least don't die @ below freezing temperatures?

Are there any cheap, small laser modules that can operate outside in New England winter temps?

Preferably down to say 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-15 degrees Celcius), and with the module not having to work but not breaking (with power continuously supplied) down to -10F (-23C) - so that it starts working again when the temp gets back up to 5F (or if there is some simple component I don't know about that does low temp shut-off and that would help I could put that in-line.)

So far I've only been able to find ones that go down to 14F, and it's unspecified what happens when the temperature goes below that.

The application is outdoor exterior detail lighting. Can have a timer with a periodic cycle if needed, e.g. 30 seconds on for every 5 minutes or something like that. Needs to fit in 1" (25.4mm) hole, although 1/2" (12.7mm) or in a perfect world a little less than 3/8" (9.5mm) would be ideal. Doesn't need to be at all powerful; <=5mW is fine.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by danjcla View Post
    Are there any cheap, small laser modules that can operate outside in New England winter temps?

Preferably down to say 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-15 degrees Celcius), and with the module not having to work but not breaking (with power continuously supplied) down to -10F (-23C) - so that it starts working again when the temp gets back up to 5F (or if there is some simple component I don't know about that does low temp shut-off and that would help I could put that in-line.)

So far I've only been able to find ones that go down to 14F, and it's unspecified what happens when the temperature goes below that.

The application is outdoor exterior detail lighting. Can have a timer with a periodic cycle if needed, e.g. 30 seconds on for every 5 minutes or something like that. Needs to fit in 1" (25.4mm) hole, although 1/2" (12.7mm) or in a perfect world a little less than 3/8" (9.5mm) would be ideal. Doesn't need to be at all powerful; <=5mW is fine.
    you should not have problems with direct injection laser diode modules, but you will have problems with frequency doubled modules like 532 green or 473 blue.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

^ What Swami said. There is a member here (from New England coincidentally) who routinely super cools his diodes way below that temperature for the color shift. There is even a Youtube video floating around with someone dipping them directly into liquid nitrogen.
    PM Sent...

Diode modules have no problem working in our weather environments. DPSS systems don't like weather extremes. Diodes- no problem. (within reason).

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

I work with diode lasers that can operate at well below the temperatures you list. And if you are looking for low cost then you might consider a single diode as opposed to a complete laser module with all the electronics and optics included. But, your application is unclear to me. Why do you need a laser as opposed to say an LED. DTR runs an online shop that could probably provide you with some harvested and reasonably priced LEDs capable of (if you want to drive them to their spec limits) VERY HIGH POWER.