Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about buying a new Jeep? Might want to think again...

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I am a hoarder so the debris field could probably been seen from space. like a pinata full off tools
    HAHA! The mental image of this is priceless!

Sorry to appear to be making light of what must have been a serious crash, but damned if that description of the scene isn't funny...

I only hope the new ones are as reliable, the ZJ was still mostly engineered by AMC and not Chrysler
    I'm worried about the new engines and the new transmissions. The old 4.0 L was a John Deere engine, and the original Jeep transmissions were made by Borg-Warner and were tough as hell. I have far less faith in Chrysler's engines and transmissions...

Adam

and Fiat's electrical demons too, Chrysler has there own too so it's a marriage made in an area devoid of lasers
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I heard something similar on radio 4 yesterday .... an exploit has been found in the DAB radio system of modern cars ... the guy wouldnt name names but in reply to "how many cars could this theoretically affect " his reply was " MOST OF THEM "

They set up a transmitter that exploits the DATA aspect of the DAB receiver and send codes that hack OUT of the entertainment system into the cars main CPU ,. therefore giving them control of the vechile , cars with self parking facility are particularly vulnerable allowing hacking of the steering , speed etc

The power of the transmitter ?? is the limit on the number of cars it can effect ...... imagine a terrorist on the M25 etc .... i dont think pulling out the DAB radio will save you , the CPU may well still receive signals

Best to change car to one with a cassette and drive carefully avoiding modern cars crashing everywhere

We shouldn't be worried though , apparently the coding/programming / transmitter etc would be really expensive , such that only goverments could only afford to do it ....oh well we are safe then
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

we don't use DAB on this side of the pond

we have "HD Radio" from ibiquity and even then most cars don't support it, and most stations have dropped it from their analog carrier as it reduced their footprint

http://www.ibtimes.com/fiat-chrysler...y-back-2026048

I know someone that had a Grand Cherokee that went up in flames. I think it was from the 93-98 MY series. He was driving down the interstate and noticed smoke coming out the back. Something on the rear axle caught fire. He couldn't put it out so he and his son waited for a ride while watching it burn up.

I almost lost and S-10 pickup truck to fire, an O-ring failed in the fuel line to it's odd injector manifold, so much fuel leaked i lost fuel pressure and it made the intake so rich the truck stalled, when i poped the hood and saw the fuel evaporating off the exhaust manifold i thought i would need to run for my life but it never ignited.

As of now Chrysler makes nothing i want, i liked the older 98 ZJ but they i think are now on a buy back because the fuel tank is mounted aft of the axle and can rupture in a rear end accident, there new stuff in my view is just shit with a jeep tag on it, they are nothing like what they once where in the past, for the cost there are better options.
    I would still buy a 98 ZJ if it was not all rusted out though, with a tow hitch installed the "pinto effect" is lessened if rear ended
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Damn i hate my last statement,ever since i was 15 i wanted a jeep Cherokee and i finaly got one in 2000, a 1998 jeep grand Cherokee and in my view the best vehicle i have ever owned, that thing was like a mountain goat with the select track un modded, wish wish people did not want so much for them , i can live with the "pinto effect" as i have always used them for towing. and as i stated it saved my life, if i did an 8 times roll over in my ford i am 99% certain i would have been really messed up or killed, I rolled at an estimated speed of 88mph (and no i was not trying to time travel) i was late for a disability hearing and took a turn too fast and rolled, even the seat broke and it felt like i was a rag doll in a dogs mouth but i walked away, i rolled 8 times and the roof held saving my tail, even though they dont have anything i want i am still watching the brand and trying to find out what problems people had with them, like the 98, i had a lerado trim and had the select track 4x4 meaning i could select from all wheel drive, 4x4 or 4x4 low gear, the wheels locked via a vacuum device and it was fairly reliable, the limited trim package had a flaw with the AC/Heating, a door called a blend door would/will fail and that is a difficult repair, the lower package did not have that, i have driven it though shallow rivers and on sandly/rocky beaches as far noth as possible in michigan and it all most never let me down, i broke a sway bar link having a bit of fun but i dont blame the desighn as i was exceeding it's limits LOL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeeplair.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	48021 my ZJ and this is what it replaced
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1280192.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	48022
    I got allmost 185k miles from it till i hit a deer, the jeep i got 203k and it still ran after the accident

My truck was named "Event Horizon" the jeep was dragon wagon and i never named the buick century that had it's life limited by some kid rear ending me, it became unpredictable on bumps so i sold it.

I am really hopefully the current jeep line is reliable but time will tell , i currently i have a Buick regal GS i bought from my dad in 2003 ish, it's been though hell but still runs great.

Now i am wondering what the rest of you folk drive? please spill the beams, i always love new info!

oddly the most depressive rides was here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9090259.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	48023

it's waste from a copper smelter and very rich in arsenic so almost nothing grows, we are allowed to ride on it provided we dont collect the sand
    and as the odds go we found a very large specular hematite spill from a rail road track, when we found it i wondered what it was and the next season i brought up aluminum powder with me and ans sure as the excrement from some one it made for some very potent thermite, it's crushed rock so i figure the metaphysical aspects where lost and that thermite would be the best use, lol i still have about 400 pounds of the stuff and that's how i retire customers hard drives that have failed, i make sure that no one can retrieve data and have a bit of fun in the end

sorry for drifting off topic but Thermite is fun!
    Last edited by Draco; 08-04-2015 at 03:21.