Thread: question on insanely power magnets

Default question on insanely power magnets

I came across a surplus company in my town that has a few pallets of 3x2.5x.75 inch bar magnets with a flux of about 1200, how do i convert that to Gauss or other termms, i think they are .12 Tesla and my second is how do i know which pole is which, i.e what side is north and south, i mmay buy them in bulk and resell on ebay as u can get them for about 7 bucks each and cheaper if i buy more.

these things are the strongest magnets i have even had, even in there boxes they have a hell of a pull, i would guess if i had one on each side of my hand that they would bust bones.

I am also open to any evil ideas i can do with them to so any and all input is welcomed
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Are they Neodymium? If yes, what grade are they? If they are N52, I would guess the pull force is somewhere between 250 and 400 pounds. A conversion tool I found online told me that .12 Telsa is 1200 Gauss. Is the tesla number is correct, you now know what that gauss is.
    Last edited by DrEvil; 07-22-2015 at 05:20.

the Gauss on the boxes is in the 1200 rage if i dont over sleep (sadly we dragons tend to do this) i will see if the know the grade of them they seem to be very well made with a robust finish, i may need to hunt around the pallets to see if i can find that into and i will post pics shortly, they are serial number marked but dont list the grade.
    The rating of the flux is printed on the box, i just got two two accidentally stuck to each other, i had to use a roofing crowbar and wood shims to get them apart and injured my thumb in the process, i feel like i need an i am stupid sign on my shirt now lol, i did get them apart but it took some effort and a lot of shims lol
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Yeah you need to treat them with respect. Powerful magnets are capable of crushing your limbs or even pulling themselves right through your body. You can get compact magnets that are capable of more than 100kgs of force. I have some lower strength ones at home (still about 10kgs pull) and despite the lower rating they have quite a nasty snap to metals or each other and their low profile can make it very difficult to get an edge to remove them. Another thing to bear in mind is that neodymium magnets are quite brittle so some care when handling is required. I broke a couple when they snapped together
    Last edited by White-Light; 07-22-2015 at 12:08.

yeah they are brittle, i try to use a pad and once the magnet is on i slide out the pad, i just bught 2 more today, they are selling themm so cheap i may try and resell some on ebay, these are made by a company called danotek motion technologies. I am going to use the one i chipped today behind a steel strip to hold tools, knowing my house trying to get a screw driver off the magnet when it's screwed to the wall will bring the wall down lol, i wonder if i could pull a car with one, i still have one vehicle with a real bumper