Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poly 20 Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    You know..... looking at this after having some coffee and getting out a metric ruler, this is a pretty tiny frickin' wheel. I wonder how useful it would really be. The other thing is, considering the source, would you end up with starts on one quadrant, arrows on another, hearts on another, hippos in another, etc.
    I was concerned about that too... 36mm is small, if it is the Diameter. I am not sure if it is or if it is 36mm radius. The description says 36*36*1. So, I am not sure if it is 36r*36r or 36d*36d* (in both dimensions so, not oval).... I just don't know. But 1mm thick, looking at the picture, and the spindle mount, I am highly inclined to think that it is 36r and 72d. That would make it much easier to work with. I am going to get an acutal poly wheel from the links provided by some of the other guys. I am still going to try one of these out though. They certainly are cheap enough. Might be fun to stack them or have multiple effects going.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I see that it is only 36mm diameter. Oh well. At least I know where to get the real-deal.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 07-26-2015 at 10:32.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

What I found most interesting in this thread of suggestions was the Poly6Track. http://www.creativelaser.de/hardware...oly6track.html

I'm neither too bright nor experienced, so it never occurred to me to cut my gratings in 'pineapple rings' of various sizes. This approach when combined with a reliable dmx stepper motor arrangement would allow you to do predictable angles (and rotations) with lenticular gratings and such.

Most of my gratings are sheets of plastic ranging from 0.2mm to 1.5mm, so this should be pretty easy to implement. By cutting out a "notch" section out of all of them, one could also have an area for graphics/beam as well. I think I'll make this a priority as soon as SELEM is over.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    What I found most interesting in this thread of suggestions was the Poly6Track. http://www.creativelaser.de/hardware...oly6track.html

I'm neither too bright nor experienced, so it never occurred to me to cut my gratings in 'pineapple rings' of various sizes. This approach when combined with a reliable dmx stepper motor arrangement would allow you to do predictable angles (and rotations) with lenticular gratings and such.

Most of my gratings are sheets of plastic ranging from 0.2mm to 1.5mm, so this should be pretty easy to implement. By cutting out a "notch" section out of all of them, one could also have an area for graphics/beam as well. I think I'll make this a priority as soon as SELEM is over.

-David
    I was looking at this one too! The pattern could be continuously rotating, via DC motor. All you'd need is a GM20 or equivalent to steer a beam to any of the tracks. 1 motor, several effects! I like it!

Hi I bought a couple of these and you need to also be aware they are quite thin plastic and not glass as is suggested by the listing. I don't think they could handle very much power before they began to melt. A great effect, but a one shot effect for each piece of the wheel.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    ...never occurred to me to cut my gratings in 'pineapple rings' of various sizes.
    ..'membah these?...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture-2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	47903 ... the 'DIY'ers version of the 'Poly-20'... You can get 'blanks', ie: http://www.joann.com/crafters-worksh.../13395207.html ..and glue-up (rubber cement / hot melt, etc.. your own pieces of burst, fan, line (sheet) lumia-fx - ad infinitum, and add a whole 'nother dimension / depth / layering to your "shows"..

..Motor-control / stopping 'in-position', Yes, is another matter, but as has been demo'd / done before, stepper-solutions or hall-effect sensors / microswitches, etc, are all 'achievable DIY', especially for PL'ers..

..'Never Underestimate the Power of PL™

j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 07-26-2015 at 13:56. Reason: pic fix
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hey Jon, I think he was referring to thses: http://www.creativelaser.de/hardware...oly6track.html

The idea that you only have to make sure you hit the track with decent beam steering and you can rotate your diffracted pattern, uninterrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    ..I think he was referring to thses..
    Ah yes, 'Pineapple rings', now my dummy gets it.. Well, at least now ya'll have a quick / dirty DIY Poly20 idea, ya?

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Ah yes, 'Pineapple rings', now my dummy gets it.. Well, at least now ya'll have a quick / dirty DIY Poly20 idea, ya?

j
    Yup, that's the way I've been building them or had them built when I needed someone with better glass skills than I could muster. By combining the Poly6track approach with the traditional poly approach for 'no effect' areas, star lenses and perhaps a traditional lumia glass or two could give you the best both worlds when combined with a reliable dmx controlled stepper motor. I've already got all the hardware in place in one of my rigs, I just need to update the wheel to do this. A simple, but very cool upgrade!

Gotta love this stuff!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Hello,

I ordered one of the aliexpress Poly wheels mentioned above.

It came in today, and as Brad guessed, it has 18 "pointer cap" style images and 2 grid style gratings.

Here are a couple pictures for sizing:

Name:	TinyPolyWheel1.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	48038

Name:	TinyPolyWheel2.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	48039

Hope this is helpful.

ED

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    That looks interesting. And for under $20 it's worth getting just to check out.

In theory, I'd have one to sell but polishedball has had two of mine for over a year and a half and has dropped off the face of the earth. A deal that's gone south.
    Yours are poly 10's. I'll see you at SELEM, still would prefer the trade but as I told you In January I was happy to next day you the wheels back or PayPal you for them at replacement cost.

But yes I have dropped the ball on this, I can own that.
    Last edited by polishedball; 08-05-2015 at 16:41.
    leading in trailing technology