Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 532nm laser diode is dead

Default 532nm laser diode is dead

My 0.5w green 532nm laser IR diode is dead. I don't know what is the good choice.
    I will get a new infrared diode and I try align with the optical components or upgrade the 532 module to 520nm.
    However I never exchanged the diode in DPSS laser and I never build 520nm laser module.
    Which is easier?

I will send email the module factory support, what will say me, because this laser maybe warranty time is live, but I can't, because the module was exchange some months earlier.
    If I have to send back to factory but may be the transport costs more than the price of a new infrared diode.

What do you suggestions?
    Thank you,

My recommendation is to go 520, especially if this is part of an RGB system. The improvement modulation is noticeable and welcome. The only drawback, in my opinion is the 520 color just doesn't have the "neon sizzle" of 532.

Im used to the 520nm green now, but I do miss the 532nm shade of green
    I will not go back to 532nm anymore terms of it being direct injected
    520nm looks like those green led light at the traffic signal
    Philipp Wetter

I like the 520nm and 532nm also and I think it costing a 808nm diode as a 520nm diode.
    I have experienced that sometimes the 532nm is unstable and sometimes jellybeaning effect. I had some problems with my 532nm module, however my diode modules (blue and red) stable performance never problem.
    I'll wait for what the support answer and the price is important for me.

Your diode might have been overdriven and died.. I can't remember anymore It's been a while since I've bugged tinkering with my older DPSS greens but I think there is a 2watt 808nm c-mount with VAC lens diode in it or something.
    They aren't very costly but the problem is some aren't spot on 808nm and you get efficiency problems to almost no output. Ff that is the case you are screwed unless you have a spectrometer to prove it to the seller.
    If you aren't too much in tinkering I'm afraid to say: Go 520nm as there is a chance you spend quite some money and still have a improper functioning DPSS green.

Someone I know named Clive who builds custom DPSS units might offer to do a repair..but it's far from free.
    Last edited by masterpj; 07-18-2015 at 17:27.

Earlier, the manufacturer proposed and I needed reconfigure the LBO crystal position in it, and then I saw the 808nm diode rend light, but nothing light now on 808nm diode. I measured the voltage on the diode and voltage is ok and the diode temperature is ok also.
    Last week the green jellybeaning effect is multiplied and the light reduced and the green light is end.
    You say the 520nm green stable than 532nm module.

The 520nm is way more stable and if you do not have laser safety goggles for that protect you from the harmfull 1064 and 808nm then you should not open and adjust this.
    Buy this if you are going to give it a go http://www.dragonlasers.com/Laser-Safety-Glasses.html LSG09 They will actually do a great job protecting you. Tested them using a camera setup and a 5W 808nm diode.
    The design is changed from what is seen in the pictures they now use a band around the head with a little bracked that sits comfortable and shrouds the sides so you no IR can seep in through the sides and damage your vision. Use a cheap camera with display to see the light.

Thank you the help.
    I waiting for the reply from LW.

I think I will need buy a new IR diode and I try to change the IR diode. The factory repair price + shipping coast is to high for me now and the 700mw 520nm diode price also.
    It is an unexpected cost for me.
    I use my laser about 8-10 hours a month and was lot of problems only green module, low reliability. (I purchased in January 2014).
    I am disappointed that the LW532 module, but I need repair now, but I am concerned that the exchange this C-mount IR diode is how protect the diode from dirt.

The prices on green DPSS lasers for light shows are just so low few if any of the companies can make a quality laser that REALLY lasts 5000-10,000 hours before falling below spec power. For example Laser Quantum gets ~$12K for 500 mW green GEM lasers and they do last 20K hours but would anyone here pay over $10K for 1/2 watt green? Nope. All the companies (in China) say 5000-10,000 hour lifetime but I bet if you get 500 hours you are doing well.
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)