Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help planning/building RGB scanner

Never seen 'Blazing Saddles" eh?

Smile

HAHAHA!

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

But Dave does have a point. You really do need a shutter. (Well, if you ever want to get a variance, that is.) Plus it's a good safety measure.

Having said that, I don't have one (yet) on my new optical table because I need to tear it apart when my replacement blue laser shows up. So I'm waiting. But I will have a shutter when I'm done.

Adam

I have a R/C one on my argon.

Smile

I've got an old solenoid-based one that came with an old MWK lissajous box that I've been thinking about using. I know that it will be OK to leave it energized for long periods.

I've also got some ledex rotary solenoids that would work well, but they're not supposed to stay energized for more than 50% of the time. So I'd need to add an "idle" circuit to drop the voltage down once it pulled in so the coil doesn't overheat. Not sure that I want to mess with all that...

Adam

Yeah I'll probably have a shutter , keylockout, and no delay on the one I'm building ( I dont need/want a variance-I dont do pro stuff)

What's the latest on SELEM, Adam?

Cool

RE: SELEM...

Still waiting on a call-back re: the gymnasium that is attached to the church. If that is a negative, we're still on for the private residence (with an indoor, air-conditioned space for solid state projectors and several acres of space outside for large ion lasers). Lexington, NC is the location.

I'm hoping to have more details to post in a day or two. But my contact in NC is currently unavailable. Waiting for him to get back in touch w/ me.

I'm also planning on a repeat of our Florida get-together. (FLEM mark 2) Haven't set a date yet, but I was thinking about late in September or early October. Need to check with Clandestiny to see about room availability first.

Adam

I'm in a rush right now, so I'm going to post a few pictures of the ROYG setup I've got going now and add more comments, later tonight when I get back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04507.JPG  

DSC04499.JPG  

As you can see I got my Red Dichrohic and mount. Nothing is firmly in place, its all just set there. This thing is bright! I am amazed at how well the ~450mW of 658nm balances out with the ~150mW of 532nm. I must say I am a huge fan of the orange it creates.

I was asking about interlocks, but it will probably be at least a few months until I get that far in the project. I have a friend who is selling their rackmounted computer to me for fairly cheap, so right now my funds for this project are being used on other control end expenses. I still need to save for the 473nm laser. I'm looking to buy something around the 200mw range.

Earlier in another thread there was some talk about sealing the optical components inside of a dust proof area. And I believe there was mention of using a photo lens as the output window? I was wondering if the lens was a UV filter lens or something similar to that.

Something similar to this, just not in sets of ten:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/55mm-UV-Filter-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Also I know the shutter's purpose is to block the light at certain times, but what times would those be? In an emergency? In case of power failure? Many of the reasons I can think of could be handled just by cutting power to the lasers themselves. For example I was planning on all my interlocks actually killing power to the lasers themselves. As I write this, however, I realize that DPSS lasers need warm-up stabilization time, which would be accomplished by turning them on with the shutter blocking the beam. (So did I answer my own question?)

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04498.JPG  

DSC04496.JPG  

DSC04512.JPG  

Looks real good...
    Cheers
    Ray
    NZ

Thumbs up

Yes, it is looking good. That pair does mix with your green quite well.