Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Quantum Elite 5Watt Green

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Nicely written. Since there are new items listed this morning, thought I'd give this a bump so Steve's reply is in the forefront.

In one of the new posts, mention was made of not being able to give a power rating as they didn't have a meter. Does anyone find it remotely strange that they have this level of gear and yet, no meter? At all???
    PM Sent...

Just out of interest, has anyone heard anything back from any PM's etc from these guys? Just interested, not interested who has bought what, but as they are still posting is it just me or have they gone radio silent?

Cheers

Steve

I wonder if they'd let me test the power of the smaller ones. I've got a meter that'll go up to 3.2W
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'm still awaiting a reply to my original PM asking for details as to where I want the laser sending and to whom I should send payment
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Laserhobbit View Post
    Just out of interest, has anyone heard anything back from any PM's..
    I have, from 'Stephen', as I'd written early, asking for 'more details, please', a-la Post#5 - I just got a reply, basically saying 'we Are legit; we can get more details if you wish; the boys may have 'jumped the gun' on those posts, sorry' ..to-which I've encouraged him to post a Reply to this 'food for thought', in Public.. We'll see what happens, but I basically said:

All due-respect, Sir - Your Co. may be well-established (1985 is quite a long-established Co, especially in This Biz..) But, it's important for You to understand - as a 'Seller' - that this community, isn't just make up of 'kids that hack together stuff in thier Mum's garage on the weekend' (Although, SOME are, and they're, frankly, quite freaking brilliant - We've got 'hobbyists' in PL, that, in all seriousness - could be winning 'Fenning Awards' (and I'm sure you must know what that is..) let-alone the many ILDA Awards they've already won..) - Anyhoo, there are Also many past - and current - Industry 'Pros' / leaders, that aren't just coming here to 'show pix of the laser-shoebox they soldered together over the weekend', but.. Are pioneering / producing Groundbreaking products / techniques for working with / Dev'ing Solid-States, into 'State of the Art'.. Quite frankly, this 'Forum' puts 'ILDA' (as a 'sharing / working together community') to shame..

..Point being - you might try 'showing a little respect', by a) Realize WHO you're selling to - Educated, cutting-edge-savvy people - and as-such, they want *Details* - Hours of operation, Current-working Power - With Pix of the wares operating, if-possible, preferred - and b) None of this 'carrot on a stick' shyte - Sorry, no ill-respect meant, but.. To put up an - Amazing price - for gear like this, and then, when the Interest starts to boil, say 'Oops, sorry, this has to all go to the 'highest bidder', well...that's just - to borrow a phrase - Bollocks... And, even IF you were to - as you have done now - make these into 'Offers Accepted' posts - Also bollocks - why?

..Because *no one knows* what's been 'bid' / offered (if they are happening via 'PM'..) so, one doesn't have a chance to 'best' the other guy - Why make us all 'bob for apples' in the dark?? It's really a poor way to handle things.. EITHER - just 'decide on a Min Price' - and Give that to the first 'responder' (that, then comes thru with the $$, of course..) Or, just have started it all out on 'eBay', in the first place, set a min Price, and then just post the Pix / specs / Auction-listings, Here (and again, with as MUCH Tech info / detail as you can supply, because - again - You're addressing / selling to WELL EDUCATED PEOPLE, that DO care about such things..)

..But - if you 'simply don't care', and you just want to 'dump all this for a few quick quid', well - Then HONOR the 'first-posted Prices' - insanely-cheap as they were, as-posted - or, it doesn't matter if you started your Co in 1965, and you're better / more experienced than all the other Co's, combined - your 'credibility' here, will just go to flat-out Ground, sorry..

OK? Please give thought to addressing the Community about this 'bungled start', here, and, Please post More tech details / Fixed-prices (or, get it all up on 'eBay', where everyone can SEE the 'current bid' / have a FAIR, in-the-know chance at the stuff), Or, if you just want to 'dump at the lowest price, possible, and are selling in 'as-is / where-is' condition, and Don't want to 'work harder, to get more ££', well, then HONOR the 'First-posted / First-claimed Pricing'.. THAT's the 'Gentlemanly Co' way to fix this.. Sire.

Two pence..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by Laserhobbit View Post
    Please do not let this episode ruin our reputation in the UK.
    I very much doubt it. Most of you in the UK are well known, fair and typically very helpful. Me personally, I don't play the association game.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Had an email asking for a visit. not sure what I do
    Last edited by Photonix; 07-29-2015 at 14:53.

To be honest, this isn't Ebay nor is it a store front.
    People are entitled to change their minds right up until money and goods change hands. There's no legal angle here.
    Wait and see what Stephen says but I think the posting new ads inviting offers will be the way it goes.

I've had a PM with Stephen and offered to loan them a meter or to actually measure them so you lot can see a bit more detail about what they're making if anyone was still interested in them. I might also be able to give a bit more info about condition etc. will see what he says tomorrow.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Adam,

I can see your point. But I think Stephen needs to respect the culture of PL and realise it may not be a terms and conditions type of site or an auction site, but it does have a certain protocol. Even if he chooses not to follow this protocol then I think at least he needs to respect it and this is the main point I hope I have now communicated to him. He is, of course free to do business however he likes, but just because you "can" act in such a way does not, in my book, mean you "should" act in such a way.

As muted above, I have now had a PM from Stephen, I have to say very polite and business like, but still apparently taking the same stance, which we must respect is his choice. He is pointing out, as others have posted, that "people jumped the gun". if this means his own staff, then I still think he should stand by the same offer, if an employee of a shop sells something really cheap it is not the customers fault. The owner of the shop has to honour the price advertised and offered. Those of you with a legal background in UK law may say I am wrong, but it is my understanding that this is a legal point. But in the Internet world on a site hosted outside the Uk and managed by a non Uk resident, even outside the EU, then who knows? It is fair to say, as Adam points out, that there is no real shop or eCommerce site here, just accepted standards of behaviour. We, as a community police this and have to option to listen or ignore any comments from any members. Janitor has the ability to actually block, but hardly ever do I know this has been used. The community is a better place because of this in my opinion. If a site like this is over policed then it's whole ethos changes and it becomes an elite club, this spoils the dynamic and honest nature and community is never the same. Just my opinion, but I am for an open PL without strict rules. But that being said there is an unwritten code of conduct, which I think Stephen should respect More importantly it is a moral point and one of honour and respect. If it is those who accepted the offer then I cannot see why grabbing a potential bargain was "jumping the gun". In fact the other adage which comes to mind is "buyer beware" as we/they were buying on a very sparse description, with no guarantees of condition or power output. Yet I am sure all who agreed to buy the items at the posted prices would still finalise the purchase even if the equipment turned out to be in a bad way and under spec. This is what I have tried to articulate in these posts and have again repeated in my reply to him.

As I think we need to be open I suggested he should honour the prices as offered and accept the deal which were made with his company in good faith. If then he wants to use more care and judgement, or even control of employees, if this is the reason, in further "for sale" posts then so be it, the prices may be higher in the next round of equipment or even listed as "open to offers", which I think is what he is doing now. He also stated the equipment if offered elsewhere and I think this should also be mentioned in posts, to prevent misunderstanding, but this was not the case in the original posts.

He did say he had a number of items to sell and I have asked him for a list, plus expected minimum prices. I would also hope, if he sends this, he would make it public. Finally I suggested he would be better to look at the value of the PL community before making any decisions to honour any deals, also mentioning I would happily meet him face to face to discuss If I were not somewhat housebound at the moment after some surgery. I can honestly say I would talk to him face to face about this, as with all I hope to post this as my idea of the way you do business. I was taught a long time ago that an "Englishman's word is his bond", sorry not meant to offend other nations, I am sure it is the same for all you good folks, but that is just the way I have always done business and always will.

After doing business with Daystar Jon about 15 years ago, we finally met 2 years ago and I have to say he proved to be exactly what I expected, a great businessman and a friend separated by a lot of miles. I see all of you as my friends in a similar way and hope that the spirit of Pl can move Stephen to rise above recent occurrences and "do the right thing", and more importantly become part of this very valued community.

I have written enough on this over the last 48 hours and will now let all concerned have a little peace from the ramblings of a coherent light crazed, hairy footed, short guy.

Cheers

Steve

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I too, got a reply regarding the UGC's.
    PM Sent...