Thread: 3D laser display

Question 3D laser display

I was just browsing though Newport's online catalog and happened to stumble upon the Linear Polarizing optics. Which happened to remind me about stereo video 3D which requires polarized lens 3D goggles.

Such equipment can be found about half way down this page:
    http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm

I was just wondering what would happen if you did the same but with lasers, stereo projection 1 scan head outputting horizontal polarization and the other vertical polarization focused so that the videos almost overlap.

Would this work or would you get a diffraction pattern?

Just wondering.

Thanks,
    Max

Hi Max,

The technically correct term for what you are talking about is "stereoscopic projection" and yes it has been done with laser displays and laser shows. Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, US companies like AURA, LFI and Lightspeed, and a Swiss/German company called ACR did quite a bit of this. Pangolin also used to demonstrate this at trade shows. But it faded...

It does look quite good WHEN EVERYTHING IS WORKING CORRECTLY. The problem with stereo is that it is somewhat of a pain in the ass. If everything is not perfect (scanner mirrors, polarization components within the projector, the glasses, and even the projection screen itself), you get ghost images and it destroys the illusion.

Best regards,

William Benner

Hmmm thats interesting, I've seen a demo of Stereoscopic projection done with two cheap DLP projectors recently, I was actually tempted to buy another BENQ projector so I could watch movies in 3D. I just don't want to spend my money on something like that when there are other better (laser related) items that I could spend money on.