Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10??

Windows 10 does work and is an effortless upgrade, all settings, even the wallpaper,etc are intact! And yep so far so good with Pangolin Beyond.

Never, ever had ME though!

Here's my ME machine. 512MB of RAM. I miss the days of operating systems that took it easy on RAM.

Gladly ram is rather cheap these days though

Ram doesn't matter. Its the sexy chic that multiplies the speed X10 .

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    Here's my ME machine. 512MB of RAM. I miss the days of operating systems that took it easy on RAM.

I got my share of use out of Win ME- I ran it on a number of machines for years. I liked it because it wasn't a resource hog and you could pull some old junk out
    of a dumpster, install ME and have a usable machine. Yes, it was crash prone but no more so than the rest of the 9x stuff- that's why MS 86'd that product line
    and focused on the NT line with the introduction of XP. Oh, and did I mention that was the time they introduced software activation?

I still have an old Athlon system that has XP on one drive and ME on the other- back in the day when it was my primary system I rarely booted it in XP. Early on,
    I even ran XP in FAT32 for awhile before finally taking the NTFS plunge!

Vista gets the prize for the absolute worst ver of Windows ever in my book... I bought a Dell desktop back in late 08 (still my main machine) that came with Vista-
    nothing but ceaseless hard drive chatter (Bill, WTF are you doing with my hard drive?) and memory bloat. It's as if MS added an endless loop of hard drive fragmenting
    and defragmenting stuff running in the background to deliberately junk up your system! Just a few months after, MS put out a beta ver of 7 and I bought an extra HD
    for my system to install it and so much for Vista from then on. [End of rant]

My old Dell now runs Win 8.1, but I have been running a beta of Win 10 on another drive here and there and I like what I see, but having to log onto the Borg
    Collective to start your machine is still a bit 'Brave New World' to me. I'm hoping there's a way around that in the formal upgrade... Since my laptop dates
    from 09 and does not have touchscreen, I think it's best to keep it with 7.

I'm guessing the beta versions of 10 are no longer active if they are installed. I didn't think about loading one of my spare/old drives with it.

My machine downloaded Windows 10 yesterday. Got everything back up and running, and promptly locked the system up watching a 2 minute youtube video. Not a promising start.

I've also noticed that the STEAM client has issues with windows 10. I can see my library list of games, but the "store" and "inventory" screens never load. Need to search around today to see if they have fix for that yet.

Adam

I knew something like this was going to be made. If you want to customize the start menu or make it look like Win 7, check this out. http://www.stardock.com/products/start10/index.asp

I installed Win 10 on my laptop and I hate it. It is SLOW and I hate the stupid modern UI windows that take up 5x the amount of space that they need. Going back to 7 on it.

My Lenovo W520 really dislikes Win10 when it comes to graphics. Needed a couple of restarts before USB and sound were in place. Have not dug into the graphics issue yet, but Beyond stops and crash seriously when trying to preview anything. I did hate win8 and win8.1 were released, but got familiar over time. Can`t say i`m to impressed with the 10 yet, but I over time im shure it will be OK.

As the developer says: Making windows 10 was like ordering pizza to 1,5 billion people. The topping will not be satisfying for all of them.

__________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!