Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driver identification/adjustment help

Default driver identification/adjustment help

This is what is driving 5 of the 6 lasers in my projector. The one pictured is for the 660 which is is not outputting much. I'd like to try adjusting the driver before messing with the laser itself. I assume on of those pots is for adjusting output.

While doing so extensive Google searching, I found this.

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...1804#post21804

The layout looks very similar and the pots were labeled the same. Adjustments did not change the output. A quick measurement with the LPM, which luckily hasn't sold yet, didn't even register any output from the laser. I think it starts reading at 5mW. I took an underexposed picture and it looked like the diodes had gone to the LED side.

I finally got them out. I used up 5 LPC sleds with LOC diodes to finally get two working diodes... I damaged one during extraction and two more went to the LED side until I figured out what was going on. I figured out the the pot to the right of the one marked "L" in the OP picture turns down the current during "standby" or whatever you want to call it. The lasers were coming on at a high power even with no cable connected. It only fried one diode during each power up so it took two tries to figure that out...

Once I got that figured out, I tried returning the output to what it should be. I'm not even getting 100mW from each diode. The beams are not combined at a distance for some reason which made it easy to measure. I know these diodes are good for at least 225 to 250mW each. I noticed that while adjusting, the output would vary widely. Now they come on at high power in standby again. Luckily the diodes stayed alive. The driver is disconnected from power for the time being. I'm not sure if the driver went tits up since I bought it or if something happened before I bought this system.

This is a picture I took to make sure I reconnected everything properly.

This is what it looks like inside the 660 module.

I think I have a couple of sleds in the attic. They are not what you are using though. They are first generation LOC. I'm sure they won't do 250mw. I don't use them anymore and can't remember the max output they can safely output. Let me know if you are interested. I'm going to go digging for them now.

Chris

Here is what I have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150805_073146.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	48032
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150805_073224.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	48033

The diodes are good now. I can't get them to put out over 100mW each though. I'm wanting a couple extra tho have on hand though. The ones I have are the LPC-826. Any idea which ones you have? They look like my 826s which will do 250. I have one in a handheld doing that much.

Are you measuring the 100mw out of the projector or at the diode lens?

You could have a bunch of loss through the cube, dichro's and galvos being dirty or misaligned which we know it is because you mentioned separate beams, you need to measure first the output of the actual diode.

Also i'd just swap in a different brand driver, and bypass all the stuff they were using.
    leading in trailing technology

That measurement is with nothing but the optics inside the module. I know they don't drop that much. When I put my handheld dot next to the two dots from the module, there is a very noticeable difference. I can't seem to adjust the idle/standby output down at all now. I was able to before. There does seem to be something weird going on with the driver itself.

Is that an old Lasever driver? It sure looks familiar...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
    I'm wanting a couple extra tho have on hand though. The ones I have are the LPC-826. Any idea which ones you have? They look like my 826s which will do 250.
    Sorry I have no idea. I will bring them anyway. If you don't want them maybe someone else will.

Here's a video showing what's going on right now. The diodes are good as you can see. The output does not change at all when trying to adjust it though. It did at first. Now nothing happens.