Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best balanced White Light? - or the best balance of RGB - Mid end projectors

Laser Warning Best balanced White Light? - or the best balance of RGB - Mid end projectors

What combination of effect for RGB-laser gives the best balanced white light. Assuming we have the nowadays very common place diode technology 445nm (or possibly 450nm), 520nm/(or 532nm DPSS) and 637/638nm (sometimes higher, like 650nm)?

Why is it such a difference of opinion? Looking at some projectors in the 3w range, the there are significant differences, how is this? I mean are some of these manufacturers/assemblers wrong about their white? What are the major schools of thought? Why is there a preference of 1:1:1 or 2:1:2, if the market has 1:2:4 or 2:1:4 as well? Cost of different diodes and marketing perhaps?

Arctos Regus 3,5w
    MAXIMUM OUTPUT
    3.25W
    637nm ARC RED
    > 1.25W
    or 650nm ARC RED
    > 1.5W
    520nm GREEN
    > 0.6W (DLP controlled Diode)
    445nm ARC BLUE
    > 1.5W

Kvant Clubmax 3000
    RGB :: 3.0W (680mW/637nm + 900mW/520nm + 1.5W/445nm) full colour DIODE laser module KVANT

Medialas Infinity 3000
    >1W Blau 460nm, >1W Hellrot 637nm, >1W Grün 532nm

RGB Laser Systems - Compact Mini with RGB3 SMM
    Wavelength: 638nm|520nm|450nm
    Output power: 1W | 750mW | 1W

TARM® MINI RGB 3000
    Laser Source: Diode
    Power Max: 3200mW
    Power spec*: 3000mW
    Power red: 680mW / 637nm
    Power green: 900mW / 520nm
    Power blue: 1500mW / 445nm

Laserworld DS-3300RGB
    Total Power typical: 3'300mW
    Minimum output power: 3'050mW
    Power Red: >550mW/638nm
    Power Green: >900mW/520nm
    Power Blue: >1'600mW/450nm

Swisslas Pure Micro
    Total Power typical: 3'100mW
    Guaranteed power at aperture: 2'900mW
    Power Red: >500mW/638nm
    Power Green: >600mW / 520nm
    Power Blue: >1'800mW / 450nm

RTI Atto
    Total Power typical: 3'700mW
    Guaranteed power at aperture: 3'000mW
    Power Red: >1'000mW / 638nm
    Power Green: >800mW / 520nm
    Power Blue: >1'500mW / 450nm

HB-Laser LC-851 RGB 3
    Total Power typical: 3'200mW
    Guaranteed power at aperture: 2'600mW
    Power Red: >650mW / 638nm
    Power Green: >800mW / 520nm
    Power Blue: >1'400mW / 450nm

Evil Lasers Kore 3
    output power 3.8W
    red laser source 635nm 1.4W
    green laser source 520nm 1.0W
    blue laser source 450nm 1.4W

Eightonlight
    Lightspace Venus II 2,900RGB
    Total Laser power: RGB-2900mW
    Diode - 637nm: >600mw
    Diode - 520nm: >700mw
    Diode -445nm: >1600mw

The "unprecedented" Pluto II offer
    Pure Diode - Pluto II RGB2.8watt (Red637nm 480mw, G520nm 900mw, B462nm 1400mw)

Goldenstar D-RGB3000
    Output red 1000mw/638nm
    Output green 1000mw/532nm
    Output blue 1000mw/445nm

Able Laser
    AB-III-2.7W RGB
    Optical output power:2.7W
    Red:1.3W/650nm,G:400mw/532nm,B:1W/445nm

And finally as another reference point - Aten Laser - Although higher output.
    "We are proud to present our RGB 8W White Laser with PT-A40 scanners. Its composed by our 2W green, 3W red and 4W blue high quality Aten Laser modules.
    Each module have variable angle output for an easy near-fied alignment. Perfect Far-field RGB overlap really easy: 2-axys Thorlabs allen key mirror mounts.
    Unlike other manufacturers, here is perfect RGB balance (3W Red!)."

I could not find any good information on ration from X-Laser US.
    Last edited by Excommunication; 08-04-2015 at 07:48. Reason: Formatting

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes, everybody has their own opinions and taken individually, it's very easy to say, "That has a great white." What I've learned from having several projectors and having the good fortune to be able to put them side by side and throw test patterns on the wall is that, one may indeed have a great white. Until you put it next to another one. White I think, is pretty subjective. And, I also keep in mind that people see colors differently. Some for example have real issues with 405nm whereas other's don't. Some have issues with 445nm whereas other's don't.

Think about fluorescent light bubs for example.... you can buy warm white, cool white, neutral white, daylight white and yet... they are all white and, everyone has their own opinion of what they prefer. And, in some cases what they can work in without say, getting a headache.

That being said...

1200mw 640
    800mW 532
    900 mW 445

is perfect. LOL
    PM Sent...

In addition to Brad's opinion based on his extensive experience, there are several good discussions on this topic in prior threads if you do some searching. One of the challenges for comparing the models you listed are beam size and divergence variability. You really want a good beam quality match between the respective colors in a projector, otherwise the power level comparison is pretty meaningless. Consistent wavelengths of the respective colors between the various projectors also limits your ability to evaluate white levels solely based on power ratios.

Furthermore, actual divergence and beam size appear to vary unfavorably from the stated specs so even good matches on paper are not necessarily good comparisons in real life. (Thankfully, stated power specs are much more accurate than they used to be a decade ago.)

All of this said, if you were comparing great overlap (beam size and divergence), my personal preference hovers around R 1.5 : G 1 : B 2. Just make sure you don't let green go below these rations as you can still make a good white with a bit too much green, but too little just doesn't look good.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

I looked at to many trinitron tubes and like a more blue white now or say they say.

Could be be a I have desensitized my eyes to blue after to many 445 experiments.
    leading in trailing technology

Thanks for the answers. I know it has been discussed in other threads, but in a context of a specific laser projector or comparison between different projectors. That is why I specified all the relevant data from different manufacturers, but obviously I was not as knowable of all factors in play.

However I would like to know how the divergence and the beam area add to the mix. To what degree does divergence and beam area affect the color mixing. I mean there ought to be a sliding scale from perfectly aligned and matched area to some type of r+g+b colors only, ie completely out of alignment. How does that affect the RGB ratio?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yes, everybody has their own opinions and taken individually, it's very easy to say, "That has a great white." What I've learned from having several projectors and having the good fortune to be able to put them side by side and throw test patterns on the wall is that, one may indeed have a great white. Until you put it next to another one. White I think, is pretty subjective. And, I also keep in mind that people see colors differently. Some for example have real issues with 405nm whereas other's don't. Some have issues with 445nm whereas other's don't.

Think about fluorescent light bubs for example.... you can buy warm white, cool white, neutral white, daylight white and yet... they are all white and, everyone has their own opinion of what they prefer. And, in some cases what they can work in without say, getting a headache.

That being said...

1200mw 640
    800mW 532
    900 mW 445

is perfect. LOL
    where did you get 1.2W of 642??? !
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

It was a rather insanely expensive purchase very early in the game from CT Lasers. It's a Kvant. You'll see it at SELEM. I actually have a second 1.2 watt 640 from RGBLasersystems sitting in a closet that's been waiting for suitable partners. I just acquired a 1 watt 445 from RGBLasersystems just this week so, now it's just the green.

I also have 600mW 640 from Kvant also sitting in a box somewhere and a 400mW Kvant 445 to match that too.

Oh, the projectors I could build if I ever actually had the time!
    PM Sent...

I have said this a ZILLION times, charts and theoretical balances really don't mean too much in the real world of laser shows. We need to consider modulation, LED lighting, fog, haze, sharpies, pot smoke, confetti, strobes, LED Video walls and about 6000 other factors which all affect our perception of a Near perfect white.

That all being said, one of the best whites I ever built was about 5.5w of 637. 8w of 532 and 8w of 445. These ratios go against all "theories" and pretty little charts, but even other laser guys "WOW" over the arctic white it produces. I will try to find a pic of it....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	48041
    Last edited by gottaluvlasers; 08-05-2015 at 18:25. Reason: Pic
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

In addition, the power level effects the balance. Especially when using DPSS lasers, this will mean a white at low power may shift as the power increases. However, if you have a lot of extra power you will have the ability to adjust this once you have taken possession of the projector.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    It was a rather insanely expensive purchase very early in the game from CT Lasers. It's a Kvant. You'll see it at SELEM. I actually have a second 1.2 watt 640 from RGBLasersystems sitting in a closet that's been waiting for suitable partners. I just acquired a 1 watt 445 from RGBLasersystems just this week so, now it's just the green.

I also have 600mW 640 from Kvant also sitting in a box somewhere and a 400mW Kvant 445 to match that too.

Oh, the projectors I could build if I ever actually had the time!
    i have one of those 600mW kvant 642 modules.. but it dropped half its power a while back and i'm still a little heartbroken over it. those things are stupid expensive.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.