Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plexiglass questions

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by dream View Post
    Thanks for finding this...
    BTW, what does something like this mean: 5-1/4″ ?
    Da.. re: 5-1/4" should mean 5 and one-quarter inches, in most earthly-realms..

About the PSU, sure I could just...The problem for me ...I don't think I get the idea exactly.
    ..Well, fortunately for you, I'm up working zombie hours on a Client-pitch comp, so.. Here ya go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PianoLid.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	48082 ...THAT would be a good-candidate for a spot of black (or smoked) plexi, cut-to-size / gently heated / 90˚d over a table-edge, even... Think of it like a 'piano lid', hinged (you can use 'hi-performance black sign vinyl' for a top 'hinge' / bottom-securing tabs.. You can usually buy a small piece from a local sign-shop.. Must-have kit for any DIYer.. Or, sure, 3M 'VHB' tape (auto-parts store) yada, yada..) so you can access, etc..

For dressing the wiring, drill a 'pass-thru port' thru the side, there, feed your wiring thru a rubber-grommet, and 'dress' with the split-loom.. http://www.altex.com/Assets/ProductI...bing_black.jpg ..etc..

..Again, I see no reason you can't have that thing looking like a scale Lamborghini model inside of an hour...

fwiw...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Lightbulb

...But tape to join it with the case, er, not sure about that.
    Hi-performance Vinyl is hardly 'just tape' - it's the stuff you see cut into letters / logos / designs, etc, stuck on Airplanes and Semis, etc.. It'll hold a tiny 'cover plate' onto yer PS just-fine, trust me.. Sure, you can also buy / cut / install a proper 'piano hinge' to hold this tiny piece of 'dressing' over yer screw-terminals, but... Why??

..And, if you were referencing my comment about the 3M 'VHB', ya, that stuff is used to put up signs, Outdoors, and 'bumper-strips' / trim on Cars, so.. again, Both are seasoned-suggestions for holding a maybe 3" x 5" piece of plexi to the face of yer PS.. You'll be fine..

..Can't the individual 12V rails just be joined with jumper cables and only require one thick cable (no split loom)?
    Uh.. not quite sure what you're trying to achieve, here.. you only mentioned One supply at the outset, but.. Sounds like, if you're making a +/- 12V supply, from 2x supplies, then, no, you'll need a few different cables going in / out.. AC-in (to Both supplies, but yes, One can 'feed' the other..), then your 'Common', running from the + of the one, to the - of the other, and, finally your +/-/Com cable, running to your galvos (?) or whatever..

..Anyway, I only posted to help out with the Plexi-ball link / Paint-the-PS / 'piano lid' suggestion, and now I must move on.. If this thread is going to move into the realm of 'how to wire up +/- supplies', etc, I will simply share this drawing I knocked-up - http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...4&d=1363048287 ..and humbly bow-out / bid you happy trails on your project.. Do share pix, if/when you can, tho!

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

on that picture you do not need the jumpers, just screwing to one terminal will work just fine at that current.
    my 2 pennies on the 3M VHB tape, that stuff has to the the strongest tape in the world, i have seem companies literally tape an ambulance box panels together with that stuff and nothing else, no rivets or bolts, consider what is bonded with that to be permanent, it is very hard to remove after... it's great stuff! I keep two rolls on hand!@ Very worth the money
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu