Thread: Shot for the evening

Default Shot for the evening

Not too bad for a lens that is probably older than I am. I shot this with my Nikon D3200 with a 35~45 year old Vivitar 400mm f6.3 achromatic lens. Full manual. Sometimes, old school stuff is just fun to play with. Even without all the bells and whistles of the new stuff, these can still kick out some great images in the right hands. The only beef I have with this shot is the chromatic aberration at the poles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0210_01.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	47856

Name:	camera.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	47857
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Not too bad for a lens that is probably older than I am. I shot this with my Nikon D3200 with a 35~45 year old Vivitar 400mm f6.3 achromatic lens. Full manual. Sometimes, old school stuff is just fun to play with. Even without all the bells and whistles of the new stuff, these can still kick out some great images in the right hands. The only beef I have with this shot is the chromatic aberration at the poles.

Name:	DSC_0210_01.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	47856

Name:	camera.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	47857
    beautiful!

i still sometimes shoot with my nikon-fe. i can't even imagine how many thousands of miles that little tank of a camera and i have spent together.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    beautiful!

i still sometimes shoot with my nikon-fe. i can't even imagine how many thousands of miles that little tank of a camera and i have spent together.
    Thanks!

I can imagine a lot of miles. It's the same for me with my Minolta STR-100. I still have it and don't think I'll every get rid of it. It's a shame film is dying. I understand why but it is still a shame.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I my self have always used the older Minolta stuff, i started with my grandfathers srt 101 and then my other grandfathers x-700 that i still some times use, i used them for wildlife stuff and one time cross country skiing with the srt and 300mm lens i slipped and got clocked in the face with it, another time hiking i snapped a metal tele-coverter in half. now i wish i could afford the same level of stuff in digital but i will always have both cameras and keep them working
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Minolta made some fantastic stuff, back in the day. I feel you about the equipment. Juggling lasers, computers, Halloween, and what limited photography I do, carving out the time and reserving a spot in the old bank account makes it difficult to indulge in any of these hobbies to a maximum degree!

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Thanks!

I can imagine a lot of miles. It's the same for me with my Minolta STR-100. I still have it and don't think I'll every get rid of it. It's a shame film is dying. I understand why but it is still a shame.
    My favorite was an old Minolta SRT-101.

It's what I learned REALLY how to shoot on. That's been 40 years ago.
    Now i'm shooting with a D70 Nikon, but some of what you learn on the old cameras comes in handy even on the new ones.
    Wouldn't give up that info for anything.

Wow - all this love for old-school Minolta!

I learned on a Minolta SRT-202. Ancient by today's standards, but it was a tough camera, and it still works. Haven't touched it in 20 years. Digital is just so much easier.

Adam

what amazed me with the SRT 101 is even though i used it the field a lot it is still in good cosmetic condition, i had a problem with the iris on the original lens, oil migrated onto the iris and caused it to be way top slow to stop down but i did clean it with solvent and even though i did that repair almost 20 years ago that stock lens still works very well, the tele-converter i broke i ended up building that into a gen 0 night vision viewer i built back then, it was great to be able to use Minolta lens on night vision, although the tube photo cathode is not flat and at that time i did not have the correction lens set so the edges went blurry very fast
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu