Thread: Beam blocking for safety

Default Beam blocking for safety

Hi all,

I want to put on a private show for my family at an event this weekend and was considering how to safely entertain them with my X-laser Mobile Beat RGB. I have a light truss and will mount the laser at the very top (about 14 or so feet) and normally I like to project animation on the wall behind me to keep things safe and worry free, but I'm considering shooting across the room and setting zones to keep any beams from crowd scanning at all.

The question is... how can I physically block the beam to keep safe in case of any mechanical failures? This isn't a piece of electrical tape as I fix I'm sure, what is the recommendation. It's short notice so I'm not sure what I can get my hands on.

I can also use beam attenuation on Quickshow but I don't think that protects from mechanical failure or a scanner on the fritz.

I'm sure I left something out but that's the quick version of what I'm looking to do.

CHEERS!
    ...and remember, it's not how far you go. It's how go you far.

the stuff used to mask is called black wrap foil just gaff tape it to the aperture

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&Q=&A=details

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=pi

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

cinefoil.. or spray paint tin foil flat black.

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetThunder View Post
    Hi all,

I want to put on a private show for my family at an event this weekend and was considering how to safely entertain them with my X-laser Mobile Beat RGB. I have a light truss and will mount the laser at the very top (about 14 or so feet) and normally I like to project animation on the wall behind me to keep things safe and worry free, but I'm considering shooting across the room and setting zones to keep any beams from crowd scanning at all.

The question is... how can I physically block the beam to keep safe in case of any mechanical failures? This isn't a piece of electrical tape as I fix I'm sure, what is the recommendation. It's short notice so I'm not sure what I can get my hands on.

I can also use beam attenuation on Quickshow but I don't think that protects from mechanical failure or a scanner on the fritz.

I'm sure I left something out but that's the quick version of what I'm looking to do.

CHEERS!

That works. Thanks a bunch for the info!

...and remember, it's not how far you go. It's how go you far.

Something that might help on the paint front, auto centres sell High Temperature paint in Matt Black - it's made for spraying on exhausts and engine components.

It's very very matt and has a curing temp of around 600 degrees Celcius from memory (although the can I had is certainly dry after spraying at room temp). You could always pop your foil in an oven or on top of a hot engine if not!

The possible advantage of this as I see it is it's mattness and also the fact that it won't catch fire. I leave others with greater knowledge to let you know if out gassing might be an issue.

Your X-Laser should have come with a few pieces of black wrap foil in a baggie inside of your manual with your user DVD, please feel free to contact us at support@x-laser.com and we'll send you a few pieces if you need it.