Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking manual and/or specs on old Candela dye laser UV-1050

Xenon is great for low to medium energy density discharges as I described above, but when you drive the flash lamp harder and harder the discharge volume becomes more and more like a black body. The type of material becomes irrelevant as a radiator, but its quantity, pressure and electronegativity remain significant.

Your CO2 system is basically the same. The tremendous energy density of ablating wall lamps (100-150J/cm3) sputters even tungsten and erodes the walls (very, very slowly). The flowing gas cleans the tube and so each discharge cleans the debris from the previous one and the envelope remains pristine.

For initial testing you might use simple, but very inexpensive (and temporary) dual reservoirs with siphon tubes. Place several L of dye mix in a polyethylene container and allow it to gravity flow through the laser to its twin sitting at a lower level on the floor. As the dye empties from the upper container reverse the positions of the containers. This seems crude, but it has lots of advantages. Aside from the low cost for a system that may have other serious problems and not be worth it to you to pursue, this method avoids contamination in pumps and radiators, generates minimal scattering bubbles, operates at low pressures that will not spray across the room if your system leaks and allows you to drain, fill and vary the dye concentrations as you work to optimize the system.

I thank you for all this ingenious advice on getting this beast to emit its fire. But I'm sad that I cannot immediately follow up on it. All my free time is currently devoted to replicating some recent LENR experiments that are getting anomalous heat (non chemical origin). There is a laser initiated test by Holmlid- U.of Gothenburg, but mine is simply pressurized H2, Li, and some 5 micron nickel powder (Rossi, Parkhomov). When these go 'critical' they suddenly melt alumina ~2000c. I think I have a way to remove the heat as steam without the meltdown.

If there is an enthusiast interested in the dye laser I would, for any fair offer, strap it carefully cushioned to a pallet and ship it.

Sorry to hear that. Even if you don't get a buyer, this thing has been waiting for you for 30 years, you can revisit it in the future. All the advise will still be pertinent then.

For what it's worth, I'm very skeptical of LENR. Chemical manipulation and low eV electronic stimulation is not likely to lead to nuclear transitions. The nuclear binding energies are just too high. Spontaneous nuclear decay is another matter. High energy bombardment may accelerate these processes, but then you are already talking about seriously radioactive substances. Anomalous heat is just too vague. This is much more likely to be the result of errors in the chemical balance sheet than nuclear events. Analysis of nuclear decay products such as alpha particles, neutrons and gamma rays that can be isolated to a particular event and be reproduced would be much more convincing.

Any nuclear event that produced enough heat to reach 2000C on a macroscopic scale would almost certainly sterilize the immediate environment and be seriously hazardous for hundreds of meters.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If there is an enthusiast interested in the dye laser I would, for any fair offer, strap it carefully cushioned to a pallet and ship it.[/QUOTE]

I'd live to have it... PM me if your sure you do not want to keep it.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Brought up under conventional science I was pretty much as skeptical as you til I started seeing peer review papers documenting the production of He3, tritium, neutrons etc. as side effects of recent "desktop" experiments. Finally some big labs such as Mitsubishi, Toyota and the NAVY (SPAWAR) Lab reported repeatable transmutation of some of the metals in the apparatus to elements not originally present. Definitely not a chemical reaction.
    Check out this recent review of work quietly continued after the public embarrassment of the premature Pons-Fleischmann paper.
    http://renewable.50webs.com/fusion.html

Anyway, although it is more divisive than politics and religion combined, I believe it is finally happening and I want to be part of it. (the experiment I'm replicating involves tiny amounts of ingredients that pop like a small firecracker if it overheats and neutrons though not usually produced in this case can be shielded against by borax/paraffin).

My problem is that the approach is reversed. You say that the neutrons though not usually produced can be shielded by light MW hydrocarbons. Yes they could, but I don't want protection I want the money, like the old quote "show me the neutrons". I mean really show me that they are produced. The article is more of a compilation of claims rather a reproducible scientific publication. The level of understanding of nuclear stability by the physics community is pretty good. The mechanism for this energy production does not need to reside in the shadows and it would be ridiculous to claim that this energy is being released from subatomic sources at the level of quarks. Certainly no chemical reaction is going to touch that world by many orders of magnitude. Someone in Switzerland who can generate 1MW of energy from nuclear transformations is going to generate enormous quantities of data not just anomalous heat.

I'm well known for arguing religion AND politics...its fun.

And so, at the risk of releasing some fission products, I believe you are wasting your time.

Aha! the gamma gauntlet has been thrown. For my first witness (if may mix my metaphors) I call the late great physicist Richard Feynman who will forgive me if I mangle his quotes: "If a rule has an exception, then the rule is false" I claim almost all rules and laws of nature and science are false by their exceptions. We see an average smoothed Newtonian world where all those pesky loose edges are actually rich with the anomalies that lead to the discoveries. Paradoxically following those threads leads to defrocking from the Newtonian academic temples.
    As far as wasting my time, I enjoy gambling and longshots. I could be collecting beanie babies or making Eiffel towers from toothpicks, watching sports on tv or carrying protest signs in front of polluting energy corps. but I am gadgeteering in my skunkworks on a cheap way for everyone in the world to have unlimited energy for pumping water, cooking and making clean light at night. The quantum world is a wild universe and we'll see many paths to tap its energy, I hope not too efficiently.

Just so I don't get tossed for being off topic, this energy creates vast amounts of photons and could be laser initiated.

You are absolutely correct. Your time is yours to do what you want. The ultimate application of the technology is a separate argument and it should be.

To be more precise, a rule is neither true or false (we're not God). A rule is a description of an observation. If there is an exception to a pattern in those observations then the pattern may be too simplistic without being "false" or completely random.

The graininess or fractal quality of the universe is pretty well accepted. The problem with these LENR experiments is that physics is not so chaotic that chemical reactions that release or capture a few eV of energy are not going to influence nuclear stability and release energy tied up in nuclear bonds. The scales of these two energy realms are too far apart. I'm sure you know about the Casimir effect. Here the scales of quantum effects and macroscopic fields are also very far apart, but the resolution of the detection is so fine that an interaction can be detected, barely. However, you will not be able to generate any usable power from this effect, So, when someone claims a megawatt from a mysterious process evolving low energy chemical reactions, I don't believe nuclear reactions are the hidden source.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by manyhats View Post
    We see an average smoothed Newtonian world where all those pesky loose edges are actually rich with the anomalies that lead to the discoveries. Paradoxically following those threads leads to defrocking from the Newtonian academic temples.
    this phrase tickles me. thank you.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Planter-
    Here's the heretics' coven that keeps me mezmerized and optimistic:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l...ist.html#67220
    It is freqented by 1/2 dozen or more regulars most of whom seem to be experienced nuclear and/or particle physicists. They are all pro LENR
    and this is their bastion against the barbarian naysayers (present company excepted [the barbarian part]). Also exciting for me is the reporting
    here of discoveries from fields not directly related but relevant to making sense of (and maybe predicting) the complex interactions of energetic particles.

I would agree that the chemical-physical world is not very chaotic but from alI the data I have absorbed regarding the quantum world I see a
    highly 'chaotic' sea of particle critters who are not all that stable and whose equilibrium is more and more subject to deliberate interference,
    at first by trial and error, then more controlled.

BTW, the Casimir effect may be at the heart of the particular experiment I am trying. The 5u size nickel particles have highly nano cracked
    surface where the h atoms are thought to be crowded into to do their fusing.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PBTGS82

I would recommend spending a few hours perusing the messages on the vortex site, at least for an amusing voyeuristic peep into what I think
    is the least crackpot of the LENR groups.