Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi From a Newbie

Default Hi From a Newbie

Hi folks, just thought I would say hi as I have just found this wonderful forum. I am a British guy that has had a fascination with lasers since I visited the Laserium at the London Planetarium back in about 1980 or 81. I finally had the chance to buy an RGB set up off ebay that needed plenty doing to it to make it usable. It came with some MediaLas software and a few other bits but no manuals or very much else in the way of information. I have managed to get the lasers all set up without blinding myself and have followed a document I found on line about using the ILDA test frame so it's a good start. The lasers themselves are a bit crappy, the blue can't be focused very well and is not bright enough compared to the other two. I can adjust the drivers to a point but when I get to where I can get pure white it is too dim to be of any real use due to the weak blue beam, anyway, I digress. I will be reading as many posts and threads as I can to make sure I don't annoy the hell out of people by asking questions that already have answers to them . Would love to hear from anybody else that lives in or near Boston - the one in Lincolnshire, UK.
    All the best,
    Thorcus.

Welcome to the forum! :-)
    Hope you enjoy being here... but be prepared to kiss your spare cash goodbye! ;-)

Isn't that right Brad?
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Welcome Thorcus, i've penned a slightly longer reply in the UKLEM thread
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes, sir wookie. that is correct.

Stick with women and boats. You'll have far more disposable cash left.

Welcome... you are in the right place and go ahead and ask away. The search tool is your friend but, admittedly it's not the greatest. We may link you to threads where topics have been discussed rather than re-type answers to questions frequently askied in the past but, no... questions are good.
    PM Sent...

Thanks for the welcome chaps! It's Ok, I don't need to worry about money as I don't have any. I have already spent it on cars, fruit machines, pinball machines, sweets and biscuits. I got my whole set up for about 60 quid so don't mind if I have to spend another fiver or so to get it working :-) PS I have had boats in the past, they chew cash faster than any other object ever invented. I hate boats.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I'm sure you know the acronym then....

Bust Out Another Thousand

It applies with lasers.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by thorcusmodee View Post
    ... pinball machines, sweets and biscuits.
    We *need* the above at the next LEM!
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Sweets and biscuits is easy, not sure the pinball will go in the boot* of the car though.
    Dave
    * for the American members - "boot" is the correct name for what you guys call a trunk. Please note that a trunk is a part of an elephant, not a part of a car. Car is the correct name for what you call an automobile. You know that thing that you drive on the park way and park on the drive way. I hope this helps.

Sweets and biscuits is easy, not sure the pinball will go in the boot* of the car though.
    Dave
    * for the American members - "boot" is the correct name for what you guys call a trunk. Please note that a trunk is a part of an elephant, not a part of a car. Car is the correct name for what you call an automobile. You know that thing that you drive on the park way and park on the drive way. I hope this helps.
    A mob of torch-wielding Americans is on its way!

Smile

I have had boats in the past, they chew cash faster than any other object ever invented.
    I have owned both boats and lasers, and I can tell you that lasers are worse than boats. Much, much worse!

With a boat, you are always spending money on one thing (the boat). With a collection of lasers, you are always spending money on MORE LASERS! It's like pokemon... Gotta catch them all!

Even if you have a large collection of projectors already, there is still so much else to spend money on. Extra controllers. Trussing. Cabling. Control stations. Spare scanners. Display screens. Foggers. Hazers. What about a nice trailer to haul everything? Or a storage shed to hold it all? And don't even get me started on audio equipment to go with all this...

Bottom line: abandon all hope of future financial solvency. And welcome to the club!

Adam