Thread: One mirror moves both X-Y high speed on IC chip

Default One mirror moves both X-Y high speed on IC chip

Pretty cool. That mirror seems like it would be too small for light show applications, though.

mirror sizes:
    Standard Mirror Size: 0.7 mm and 0.8 mm diameter
    Special Mirror Sizes: 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm, 1.2 mm, 1.6 mm, 2.0 mm, 2.4 mm and 3.0 mm diameter

Here's the "chip" doing the ILDA bird:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails devkit2.jpeg  

Mirror sizes from 0.8mm to 3.6mm in diameter are currently available.

If you take a look at this page

http://www.mirrorcletech.com/devkit.html

they are actually selling a test setup with a 5mw 523nm for US$4000, complete with software and USB interface.

It's way too expensive compared to the current dac/galvos combinations available, but combine this with the (if they actually exist) laser TV chips (they were claiming 3wRGB on a solid state device) and you can see that pocket sized, high power, projectors are becoming possible.

Whether that is a good thing is another matter...

That $4K setup includes a laser too..which I doubt if any of us need. Especially an over-priced 5mW greenie. I just want to get a hold of the chip. The amplifier is probably too expensive too. Another DIY project
    Whether that is a good thing is another matter...
    I'd say good for us now, maybe good or bad later depending on the availability of that RGB modular unit and possible restrictions for public purchase of it. Also seems they may be having developement problems, or we'd be seeing the "laser TV" by now.

the scan angle is very shallow, but i guess there is always room for improvement.

whats a large angle step response settling times of <100 µs like when it comes to scanning?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

They say that an external lens is needed for scan angles of >40 degrees.
    That might affect the beam quality though.

whats a large angle step response settling times of <100 &#181;s like when it comes to scanning?
    I dont know. That'd be a good question for William B. He's doing scanner comparison testing over on this thread:
    http://photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2326
    Last edited by steve-o; 05-17-2007 at 06:25. Reason: added link

I received this email from him this morning:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your introduction of our company to those groups. I am really impressed with their expert discussion and I hope to contribute in the future. I have never participated in such a forum on-line, so I will need to see how to do that.

Here are some quick answers to your questions below:

1)We often quote and ship just a few chips instead of complete kits, that is not a problem. Due to wide variety of choices such as uni-directional or bi-directional actuators, single-axis or dual-axis, mirror size (range) etc, I usually try to get more information from the customer before sending a quotation. Your amplifier range of 0 to 135V would work nicely for most devices. If you choose a bi-directional device however you would need 4 channels, 2 for each axis (positive and negative rotation on each.) We have a miniPCB that goes with a bi-directional kit that can take -150 to 150V input and splits it using diodes into 2 channels, so that is another way to go about bi-directional devices. As per your request, I can prepare a quote for all sizes of M-Series... (those are dual-axis, uni-directional devices, about 0-6deg mechanical on each axis.)

2)I do not know the maximum power handling, we do not really have simple ways of testing that as we have no lasers beyond ~100mW. We have done some analyses to get around the lack of laser power in the lab. For example, we have characterized devices up to 200C (by heating a whole chip directly) and see now degradation in performance. Then we did analyses of cooling power of the mirror, silicon below, etc, and found that it greatly depends on mirror diameter. In these analyses we made some simple assumptions on reflectivity in low 90&#37;s. Overall, it seemed that we should be able to handle watts of power without increasing mirror temperature beyond 100C, though as I said 200C may be fine too. The larger the mirror, the better our cooling power due to convection from mirror’s top and bottom surface. I asked my colleague Dr. Andy Miner who has done this analysis to reply more specifically and here is his response:

Assuming: 2 mm mirror, 100 um pedestal, aluminum mirror at 90% reflective, the mirror would show a 122.4 K temperature rise per watt of incident laser power (122.4 K/W). Per incident flux, it is 3.8 K-cm^2/W of incident laser power.

3)In most cases of what is on the shelf, mirrors are coated with 100nm of Aluminum. This is on top of a few micrometers of single crystal silicon. No protection/enhancement. However, larger mirrors are fabricated separately, and I have many un-coated ones that could be taken for Au/Cr layer deposition, or perhaps could be sent to a vendor for specific coating. Aluminum and gold coating is available in our fabrication facility, while most optical application-specific coatings would have to be done outside.

4)Can I ask what do you mean by “drop by” in your e-mail, does it mean that I should join in the forums? If someone is nearby here in the Bay Area, we could also drop by personally.

Have you had a chance to try the livedemos online? If your computer can work through the ActiveX controls to get the video running you should be able to see both:
    http://mirrorcletech.com/livedemo.html
    http://mirrorcletech.com/livedemo2.html

I am thinking that if you have further interest and perhaps more people involved in a discussion, we could do some demonstrations on-line and discuss through a phone-conference. We have used this webcam setup in the past very successfully to demonstrate some scan patterns, or VGA-display capability etc.

Regards,
    Veljko

Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:45 AM
    To: Veljko Milanovic
    Subject: RE: Price sheet

Mr. Milanovic,
    I'm responding with email rather than phone because of the time difference between east-coast and west-coast zones.
    There has been some interest generated in your Mirrorcle "chip" 24 pin DIP scanner for laser beam steering in 2 groups so far: Alt.lasers and PhotonLexicon.
    The latter folks use Cambridge, and DT-40 Pro scanners, primarily for entertainment purposes. They are now interested in your devices since I just happened to stumble across your website looking for optical components and introduced them to your devices.

They are both professional and amateur laser-show providers. Alt.lasers includes the legendary Sam Goldwasser, those folks have been involved with laser technology since the invention of the first ruby laser.
    We would possibly be able to put together a "group-buy" (multiple quantities) if the price was reasonable. Personally I am interested in just the chip> Mirrorcle Technologies M-Series for experimentation if it can be driven with +/- 135VDC linear amplifiers. We all have multiple lasers, so there is no need for the development kit containing a 5mw laser. A question has been posed: what is the maximum optical power that the mirror can handle?
    Also I was wondering: is it aluminum or enhanced aluminum? Reflectivity % and angle of incidence?
    Please feel free to drop by and introduce your product. There may be significant sales potential.
    Hope you have a great day

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.l...272623f7123d92

http://photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456

Thanks,

Steve
    Last edited by steve-o; 05-22-2007 at 06:06.

Default Pricelist finally available for these scanner "chips"

nevermind -these can't compete with Jian's DTs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007_06%20MirrorcleTech%20Device%20Prices.pdf  

Last edited by steve-o; 06-07-2007 at 04:34.