Thread: Old Laser Interferometer

Default Old Laser Interferometer

Here's an old laser interferometer made around 1969 I think, by Perkin-Elmer. It's the model INF-1 he-ne, featuring a prism assembly on the output end to combine a reference signal with that returned from a retroreflector, an input aperture for the return beam, and two detectors with their associated electronics. I believe this is a stabilized laser used with a homodyne system introduced by P-E in 1968, and make obsolete by heterodyne systems based on Zeeman split lasers by Hewlett-Packard in 1970 and eventually Zygo. Probably why P-E got out of commercial lasers in the early '70s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PE INF-1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	48218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PE INF-1 back.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	48219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PE INF-1 open.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	457.0 KB 
ID:	48220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PE INF-1 prisms.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	460.2 KB 
ID:	48221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PE INF-1 sensors.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	490.5 KB 
ID:	48222

Cool Bob. It's a pity there isn't a 'Like' button on the forum, cause I really don't have anything to say apart from it looks a really cool bit of 'old skool' kit
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thanks Jeremy. I realize that my posts of vintage lasers are somewhat out of place on this forum, and don't expect much in response. The only alternative is LPF and well, you know, with the average age there being 18, they're even less enthusiastic about the past. I suppose these blurbs about old equipment might find an audience in the OSA or SPIE, but those groups don't do social media as far as I know, where pictures could be posted that would be searchable on the internet. Eventually the collection will be on a proper web site, but until then, I really appreciate everyone here for tolerating my slightly off topic ramblings about things only a very few will recognize.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Thanks Jeremy. I realize that my posts of vintage lasers are somewhat out of place on this forum, and don't expect much in response. The only alternative is LPF and well, you know, with the average age there being 18, they're even less enthusiastic about the past. I suppose these blurbs about old equipment might find an audience in the OSA or SPIE, but those groups don't do social media as far as I know, where pictures could be posted that would be searchable on the internet. Eventually the collection will be on a proper web site, but until then, I really appreciate everyone here for tolerating my slightly off topic ramblings about things only a very few will recognize.
    I enjoy all the olds bits ya post about and collect. Keep it up please.
    leading in trailing technology

There's probably more here that appreciate this 'old stuff' than you realise Bob. I think it's wonderful that you're preserving this stuff for future generations, and I love seeing the history and quite often the stories surrounding it all. Don't ever stop posting it, please

Cheers

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I love the pic of the older stuff you post as well, i like to see how this tech evolves as time goes on and these should be preserved just as old records and toys, cars...ext, I still mow my lawn with a gas powered lawn mower from the late 1930's , it's even self propelled but it's a rotary style and will eat anything in front of it, it looks like something out of a horror flick
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu