Thread: Newbie saying hello :)

Default Newbie saying hello :)

Stumbled across PL this morning whilst googling
    I've been into Inteligent lighting for many years, but i've not dabbled in laser projectors nor ilda, as i'm an old DMX fart
    Hoping to learn alot and get to grips with this facinating genre of lighting and lighting control. I've bought myself a second hand Kam DMX120 off a mate as a project to dismantle, explore and play with. Any "must read" articles i should check out first ?

Hello and welcome to the craziness! :-)

I'm a lighting guy myself and dabble in lasers because... well, they're just a bit cooler! ;-)

Have a read through the wiki... there's loads of info there but pay extra attention to the safety side of it... I'm sure your eyesight is as important to you as it is to me!

Also, check out the UKLEM thread in the meet n greet section... next one is in October and you'll learn more there in a weekend than months of reading stuff on-line:-)

But as always, ask questions.... there's pretty much no stupid ones;-)
    People on here are generally pretty knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction if they can't answer you outright there and then...

Oh, and prepare to kiss your spare cash goodbye! Lasers are addictive! :-)
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Thanks for the welcome and advice

Welcome. Do I take it you are in Cornwall? (Accessed from a mobile device so apologies if your location is shown).

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Welcome. Do I take it you are in Cornwall? (Accessed from a mobile device so apologies if your location is shown).
    Yes sunny (rainy lol) Cornwall it is

I'll second the advice to attend the up-coming UKLEM. You will meet a great bunch of fellows, see a huge collection of laser projectors (and controllers), and you will learn an awful lot about what you're about to get into. You will also have a *great* weekend! (Laser Enthusiast's Meetings are, at their core, all about being social. It's just that there happen to be truckloads of laser gear present as well!)

Adam