Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please for a show

Laser Warning Advice please for a show

Howdy All...

I have a show to prepare for and am wondering what to take. I'm concerned an LED video wall and other stage lighting is going to outshine us. The space 20x30 meters marque. Will 3 x 3W RGB lasers do the trick? The stage lighting can be dimmed at points so it's mainly the LED wall I'm concerned about.

beams or graphics? inside or open air? Haze or not?
    It all comes down to how the lasers are placed on stage. Contrast between the background and lasers.
    Normally 3watt is more than enough.

More info required if you expect good answers :-)
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Thanks, I haven't seen a stage plan yet but am hoping to know more soon. It's inside a 20 by 30 meter marquee at a festival and I'm told there will be plenty of haze provided by the stage crew. I don't know where the LED wall is located at this point... I will be doing mostly beams shows and a few graphics.

Hmmm tricky. I did an outdoor stage this summer with a pair of 3 waters, but I had control of the lights and video as well so could dim the wall if needed.

It really depends on the wall and it's content. I think you might struggle with the animation if you can't tame the wall a bit... but divergence og your beams is also a consideration... mine were around 1.1mrad from memory. Crappy beams will drastically reduce the viability of your lasers... Also, take your own fog/haze! Never believe that you can make use of the house atmosphere. If you can, bonus! If not you've got yours as backup and all is gravey :-)
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Thanks that's good advise about the haze. Last festival said they would have fluid for me and had none... Lessons learned!

We are taking good Lasers. KVANT Clubmax 3000's x 3. I can take 3x Atom 6w or just swap out the middle one for a 6w, but don't want it to be overkill and am on a budget. I probably sound very green but feeling a bit intimidated by this video wall and was wondering if these things have killed anyone else's shows in a big way. I've dealt with stage lighting that has bombed me out but only for periods here and there.

OK, I have an update. We will have a 4.5 x2.5 LED video wall right behind the stage! Are 3 x 3w RGB laser going to be enough? Or do I need to take higher powered lasers? Any advice appreciated please...

If you're worried about it, take bigger projectors... you can always turn the output down :/

Led wall brightness is measured in NITS. Without that figure and the pixel density your guess is as good as mine really... if it's a larger AV company supplying the video wall, then it's more likely to be a high spec, high resolution and brightness wall than a smaller company that would probably make do with lower resolution Chinese wall... This is a massive assumption though.

I think that, as I said before, I'd take the highest spec projectors I could afford in the budget, unless I was absolutely sure I could have input on the content on the led wall...

Oh and you're right to be concerned... ive had lightshows using Point's and 1200's capped all over by video wall in the past... its basically the biggest nastiness floodlight on the stage and it's pointing straight at your audience.
    If the guys running it don't have a clue what they're doing... not much you can do will survive I'm afraid

These days most people in the business know that you don't have to turn it all up to 11 to make it good though... fingers crossed; )

Thanks for the input. Have already swapped the middle Laser out for a 6w, but am told unless the other lighting guys give the Lasers some room then a 20w would also be wiped out...

" 15 characters"
    Last edited by Laser Wizardry; 11-13-2015 at 12:56.