Thread: Old He-Ne Laser Pointers

Default Old He-Ne Laser Pointers

How does one know when a laser becomes a "laser pointer"? The first He-Ne that was shown being used for that application was the Spectra-Physics model 130. The ad below from 1963 shows Art Schawlow (at Stanford) and Earl Bell (of S-P) using one to point at a blackboard. Schawlow dismissed the laser in an oral history interview as too dim and the pic a publicity stunt, but the idea was there and the laser has a handle on top.

People apparently used heads with handles and cylindrical He-Ne heads for the purpose until the late '70s when Bergen Expo Systems started selling their model LP-6 seen here. I don't know when exactly they started, but the earliest head I've seen is marked from 1978. Seen here is a complete system from March, 1979. I'd guess the tube and supply were made by Spectra-Physics. A mid-'70s OEM S-P model 136 is shown below as a reference. The three-pin connector is missing from it, but I've seem them of other S-P lasers. What really defines it as a pointer I think, is the controllable shutter on the side of the head. Every other pointer I've seen has a switch there. This one has a mechanical shutter! Also seen below is the same model pointer from the mid-'80s (1983 supply, 1985 head).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP130&Schawlow&Bell 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	48174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-130 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	48175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP-136.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	48178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bergen System 79.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	48176Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bergen LP-6 System.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	48177

Great to see these Bob, thanks for posting.

I have a rechargeable battery powered HeNe laser pointer kicking around somewhere...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

yeah thanks for the pics, I know my first "pointer" was a 5 mw HeNe in a small tool box with a rechargeable battery, that was in the late 1980's and still have it some place

one time i used it to "point" out the bald spots on my teachers head lol
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu