Thread: sound stutters on some playback in ld2000

Default sound stutters on some playback in ld2000

Ok I'm ready to break my card in half. WHY does the playback of an mp3 stop when you play a portion of a show but is fine if you play the whole thing? WHY dows the playback window have to be selected EVERY time I want to se something instead of just coming up. I do not remember having these issues......

system has PLENTY of power and ram and ssd hard drive and is running a very expensive studio grade sound card. RME to be exact. It aint my hardware you see. Buffer ok how to increase?

Exclamation

Protip: Never use MP3 files for editing shows using either Showtime OR Beyond. You *will* experience timing issues.

This is a known bug, and there are currently no plans to address it. Use the full .WAV file and you will be fine.

Note that once the show is completely finished, you can swap out the .WAV file for an MP3 and the playback will usually be just fine. It's only when editing (or playing only part of a show) that this bug crops up. (No idea why though.)

Adam

yup figured that out

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Protip: Never use MP3 files for editing shows using either Showtime OR Beyond. You *will* experience timing issues.

This is a known bug, and there are currently no plans to address it. Use the full .WAV file and you will be fine.

Note that once the show is completely finished, you can swap out the .WAV file for an MP3 and the playback will usually be just fine. It's only when editing (or playing only part of a show) that this bug crops up. (No idea why though.)

Adam
    mp3 files, especially those with vbr encoding, cause problems inside lots of applications (points finger of shame at final cut studio). this is not unique to pangolin.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Well known issue across many platforms allegedly. There's a test here using a video editing program in which several formats are compared and it's reported that the mp3 both suffers milliseconds of lag and is shorter in duration than the other files / original: http://www.videomaker.com/article/13...ssion-shootout

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Note that once the show is completely finished, you can swap out the .WAV file for an MP3 and the playback will usually be just fine.
    Even then, I don't. I use .WAV exclusively for playback too. 320Kbps MP3''s sound good but every now and then, I can still hear the compression artifacts. Anything less than 320 and the quality starts to degrade. For a show, I want max quality and couldn't care less about the disk usage. This is why I still buy CDs and will never purchase off of a music site in MP3 format. WAV sounds the best and almost everything will read/edit WAVs. I know I sound like an audiophile snob but I want the band/orchestra/musician in the room with me. I would consider FLAC but I don't know how many programs support it.

Just my $.02
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

There are some new guys on the block though as well, although I'm unsure of compatibility.

The oldest of the new formats is AAC.

The newest one is STEMS.

I know the latter isn't yet specifically supported as it's a pretty unique format - it may playback, on that I'm unsure, but you can't access the special features for sure - an end user audio file that's split up internally into tracks so the end user (DJ) can apply effects or edit to individual parts of the track eg apply an effect to say the vocals but leave the rest of the tune unaffected or filter the bass and leave the mids, highs and vocals untouched. Little bit about STEMS here:

On the original topic, I personally always buy WAV these days as I found that if you compose a show with an MP3 and then try to insert the WAV, you cna experience the issue highlighted in the article I linked above where you find the MP3 is shorter than the original leaving the wav misaligned and the show overall too short. Best to work with wav from start to finish.

Very good demo of STEMS here:

Last edited by White-Light; 09-01-2015 at 16:09.

Sounds like a codec issue perhaps. Download the k-lite codec pack