Thread: High Speed Scanner

Default High Speed Scanner

It will be interesting to learn the scanning range with these:

http://www.iws.fraunhofer.de/en/pressandmedia/press_releases/2015/press_release_2015-16.html

I've worked on small scanners like this myself, as a consultant for other companies, both single-axis and dual-axis designs. So far nobody has been able to crack the high torque-to-inertia ratio, wide angle, and high power handling capability of the standard "mirror on motor" approach. It's a tough engineering problem for sure!

It would be interesting to see what these guys have come up with, and how much further they've been able to push this than, for example, Mirrorcle company in California...

Bill

what about coupling this with optics like a disco scan to make up for the lack of angle?

I dream of a day where I can play lazy mame on laser properly

Let me find out what the angle is, first.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I downloaded a few of his group's papers. One, for their intended video application, these are resonant scanners. Two, they run in a vacuum and need a highly specialized window to get the beam in and out of the vacuum without distorting the image.
    >

Their target is really car HUD displays and LIDAR... For HUD they need a TILTED window on the package.
    >
    They are amazing for what they do, but they do not scan a raster, they scan a complex lissajous pattern to do video.
    >
    They can run in vector mode, but when you knock the speed back to vector, a galvo is still competitive.
    >
    And their group is already working on the lens, but it is backward to how we do it. The lens is intended for a 3D lidar, so the beam enters the top of the lens, is scanned, then leaves via the side of the lens, leaving a huge "hole" in the center of the image. For vehicle LIDAR this is perfect. For laser shows, not so...
    >
    If you take them out of the vacuum they run at a much,much, smaller angle and typically 1/4 the speed.
    >
    DAS LINK to one of Herr Doktor Hofmann's projects....
    >
    http://www.minifaros.eu/files/Biaxia...MAA2012_v3.pdf
    >
    http://www.minifaros.eu/data/AMAA_Mi...esentation.pdf
    >
    Its not just the scanner that is impressive, it is the video hardware/software that can take this type of Lissajous motion and display clean video.
    >
    With a Qfactor of 140,000, it will be a different design used for vector then what is pictured working in the above PDfs.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-24-2015 at 08:35.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I actually had email contact to the mirrorcle 1 year ago and they send me lots of in depth information and documents. I believe fraunhofer did too.. I have to dig in my documents..I got that info about 1 year ago. I recall from memory though it was also about high speed fraunhofer mems... they are ok.. but the size you need from a pretty big model to carry a beam... so much that the speed impact is crazy.. these things can really move a strong beam of several watts though.. like 20 15 watts? Miroracle tech also has a functioning ilda player though it doesn't support many of the formats out there.. I send ildas back and forth serveral times.... I can dig in email history but I remember it being very significant though just really not ment for laser scanning like we do still
    Last edited by masterpj; 08-25-2015 at 14:19.