Thread: Dichro help

Default Dichro help

Hi guys, I'm working on my second projector and I'm ready to glue the dichros to the mounts. What I need to know is which side do I glue to the mount. Is there a way to tell which side the coating is on or does it really matter. I think it does but I can't tell which side is which. Thanks for your help.

shine the laser at the dichro
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thanks Andy that's just too simple. I must of had a major brain fart. Also I plan to use epoxy to glue them on but was wondering if hot glue would work too. Thanks again.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Thanks Andy that's just too simple. I must of had a major brain fart. Also I plan to use epoxy to glue them on but was wondering if hot glue would work too. Thanks again.
    Well..... lots of cheap Asian eBay projectors certainly have proven that it will work but... hot glue??? Really?? Have a little respect for your work! At least try a little JB Quick or something of that nature.
    PM Sent...

Thanks Bradfo69. Never mounted dichros before so I'm just trying to get a feel for what's best to use. Trying to avoid as many mistakes as possible.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Well..... lots of cheap Asian eBay projectors certainly have proven that it will work but... hot glue??? Really?? Have a little respect for your work! At least try a little JB Quick or something of that nature.
    use 5 minute epoxy... sparingly.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Yes... I think you'll find "less is more". Particularly important if you end up finding something needs to be repositioned. Hot glue would be a mess to remove whereas the epoxy just needs a little heat from a torch and it should pop off.
    PM Sent...

double back tape! (kidding but it works in a pinch)

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Yes... I think you'll find "less is more". Particularly important if you end up finding something needs to be repositioned. Hot glue would be a mess to remove whereas the epoxy just needs a little heat from a torch and it should pop off.
    i use a toaster oven. 10-15 mins at ~250F and the epoxy just falls apart.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i use a toaster oven. 10-15 mins at ~250F and the epoxy just falls apart.
    I've found as little as 10 min at 150F is adequate for getting even the high strength epoxy to release the dichros although the amount of metal that they are mounted to is a factor. I find it strange that we don't here of dichros popping off after sitting in a hot car or other such events.

Regarding which edge is the reflecting edge, just put your fingernail on the surface of the dichro. The reflective side is the one where your nail touches its reflection with no gap. A little gap is the backside.

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"