Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 638nm vs 637nm (single mode vs multimode)

so about $3500 for 3W... not bad considering it's corrected... tempting... tempting... now where was that winning lotto ticket I had around here?

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    It was about 30-40m I think.
    Agreed that range counts and the bigger lasers need some space to 'stretch their legs'.
    It could be that once something is very bright to our eyes, their ability to distinguish extra brightness is diminished. They're saturated essentially. Once things start to appear a bit dimmer at further range, we are able to see the difference more readily. Or a bit of all of the factors mentioned.

I still say a 3-4W projector with a bit over 1W of green is an incredibly versatile projector and will do a number of different roles and room sizes.
    my problem is red always looks weak... you get these beautiful blue and green beams that turn the entire room green and blue... and then this wimpy red beam that makes the room black... booo boring... I want like 1~2W green 1~2W blue and 5~6W red, I think that would be ok

I'm a fan of your performances Adam! thats really great
    BTW, is a Snap RMX what I'm hearing?

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    It was about 30-40m I think.
    Agreed that range counts and the bigger lasers need some space to 'stretch their legs'.
    It could be that once something is very bright to our eyes, their ability to distinguish extra brightness is diminished. They're saturated essentially. Once things start to appear a bit dinner at further range, we are able to see the difference more readily. Or a bit of all of those.

I still say a 3-4W projector with a bit over 1W of green is an incredibly versatile projector and will do a number of different roles and room sizes.

Check out this vid, particularly from about halfway through with the hot beams. 2 of those are just over 3W, 2 are over double that (although one 2W 532 crapped out and down to 400mW and is now back in China)

Last edited by jors; 09-15-2015 at 13:29.
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"

I think it was Snap.
    Not much of a performance in afraid, I was trying focus on the phone in my hand and pressing at least the odd button correctly on the controller! That was about halfway up the room, it's actually a car park normally. One of the biggest indoor events I do and I think the 3W do ok.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

neat

but I don't want a 3W RGB, sooo can we go back and talk about reds now?

No. You'll end up with too warmed white...not good RGB balance for rendering colors containing red.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    .. I want like 1~2W green 1~2W blue and 5~6W red, I think that would be ok
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"

What do you want to know about reds Fle? That simply doubling in power probably isn't worth the money, you really want to quadruple to get the significant benefit? Same with all wavelengths really

An over under stacked and cubed quad red with some beam masking to tidy it up is quite a reasonable proposition these days, in monetary terms.
    Frikkin Lasers

at 5k your getting close to opsl or at least a used one....

Yep, the pair of quads that Humphry saw on my page were nowhere near $4k for both, but that's the difference between small production and slightly less polished production and end results, and a commercial product that's high quality.

You pay your money and take your choice.

I will say that I'm totally done with paying any large sums for exotic laser gear (such as single mode reds of 1W+ powers) - it just doesn't work out unless you have a great business model and lots of work to make it pay.
    There are lots of very affordable options with only slightly less quality these days.
    Frikkin Lasers

I agree with Norty on this ....power perception is exponential (like sound) so at least 4x before it becomes noticeable!
    Twice power is still much better for increased size of venue and above all when using multiple beams .....but with a single beam although usually detectable it really won't make that much difference !
    Ambient lighting levels will have far more effect on perceived brightness of any single beam!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	48394...Curious thing is that simultaneous presence of other coloured beams rather than reducing perceived brightness actually INCREASES it. (This only happens with very narrow band coloured lighting). So putting a powerful green beam parallel to a borderline low power red beam, actually appears to enhance, rather than subdue the red beam. So unless projecting images, whenever colour balance is a bit "iffy", it is often advantageous to "disadjust" the dichros a tad, especially if bouncing off mirror showers.
    Cheers

it can't just be me but my problem is red always looks wimpy... you have these awesome blue and green beams that turn the entire room that color... and then the red beams are these wimpy laser-pointer looking things that make the room black... how much power would it take to turn the room red?!