Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Distro with E-Stop

Default Power Distro with E-Stop

I thought this forum might have some answers since a lot of people deal with remote e-stops.

I am looking for a power distribution box with a remote e-stop. A case where this might be useful is when for safety some equipment need an e-stop on the AC input power. Instead of running the power from FOH, I want to get the power from somewhere close to the stage and only run a low voltage control cable to front of house to be able to switch all of the power off.

Does anyone have or use such a devices? I want to kill the power, not only shutter or similar.

Have a look at The ILDA interface boards by Stanwax Laser that incorporate a low voltage E-stop system that can be daisy chained to multiple projectors.

A lot of members here are using them as the standard for E-stop / ILDA interfacing.

http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/ilda-...board-55-p.asp

I use a 5 pin 50m XLR lead to have the E-stop at FoH and 3 pin XLR to interlink E-stop between multiple projectors.
    2 x Stanwax Laser 3W RGB's
    2 x OPT 10W RGB
    Pangolin FB3QS + Live Pro
    1.3W Laser Harp

Build distro with a contactor. Use the estop to open the contactor in an emergency.

I can recommend a few suppliers for this type of thing, but it way cheaper to build it yourself if you know your electrical wiring.
    What's going to be on the stage end of the distro? Some things REALLY don't like having the power cut unexpectedly!
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Build distro with a contactor. Use the estop to open the contactor in an emergency. ..........................Some things REALLY don't like having the power cut unexpectedly!
    Me for starters ! ....seriously tho...that is a huge UNDERSTATEMENT to say the least !
    Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 09-09-2015 at 14:59. Reason: typo

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Danm! those are sexy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150711_105941.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	48364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150711_105931.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	48365

My little take on it, 3 FB3s, Startech and power distro estop down 2 cat 5s, not a professional setup but works for me.
    Squat that bug,

One day I'll finish my build.
    https://www.facebook.com/Azteclasers?fref=ts

Are there any commercial ones? I would imagine that some thing similar is used in workshops for e stops but have not found anything.

The diy solutions, what do you use to switch the ac? Solid state relays fail often in on mode and mechanical relays can be triggered by heavy bass
    Last edited by SanTai; 09-13-2015 at 06:03. Reason: Auto correct...

Check companies like S.E.S. and Rubber Box. They make large power distro for film/tv/events and do custom orders... though you'll be talking £££££'s!

I've never had a contactor triggered or fail due to bass and I work with SERIOUS levels of bass on some arena gigs. Most, if not all, of the bigger power distro I use has RCD protection using contactors so the trip current can be adjusted (or switched off in certain application) and even with the distro sat behind the array of twin 21" subs on Deadmou5 a few years back, had no issues... and that was enough bass to literally rock the tour bus!

Where did you hear bass will trip mechanical relays?
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Just FYI and with a lot of experience of heavy rock and prog rock a few years ago. We always had contactors somewhere in the rig and I have never heard of them bumping open or closed. The only thing vaguely like this is hard disk heads crashing, but even then these were so seldom to be more likely folk lore than a real day to day issue. I think with a heavy duty contactor or even a heavy duty relay it would take a small earthquake to cause an issue. Just my 10p

Cheers

Steve