Thread: Laser Newbie - Purchased Club like laser for fun - but scared its dangerous

Laser Warning Laser Newbie - Purchased Club like laser for fun - but scared its dangerous

hi everyone. Thanks for having me. I was wondering if someone could help me with a basic laser safety question

Last week I picked up a laser that was meant as a fun way to add some entertainment to parties... like a little club laser. But after bringing it home and doing some research I got pretty scared that it might not be safe

The front of the laser says class 3B but the documentation says class 3A... I have read that the class 3B lasers can be very dangerous to the eye

Here is a link to the laser I purchased.

http://orion-fxlights.com/lasers/orlaser103/

The plan was to be able to look up at the laser with some fog effects but now I am not so sure its safe. Like when you go to a club and the laser circles your head and things like that. This laser does all of that, but I just want to make sure its ok to use and look at. From what I am reading maybe I need to take it back.

If someone can help me understand that would be great. Maybe a club laser effect like this is different than other uses.. I am a beginner and have no idea.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by darryltoronto View Post
    hi everyone. Thanks for having me. I was wondering if someone could help me with a basic laser safety question

Last week I picked up a laser that was meant as a fun way to add some entertainment to parties... like a little club laser. But after bringing it home and doing some research I got pretty scared that it might not be safe

The front of the laser says class 3B but the documentation says class 3A... I have read that the class 3B lasers can be very dangerous to the eye

Here is a link to the laser I purchased.

http://orion-fxlights.com/lasers/orlaser103/

The plan was to be able to look up at the laser with some fog effects but now I am not so sure its safe. Like when you go to a club and the laser circles your head and things like that. This laser does all of that, but I just want to make sure its ok to use and look at. From what I am reading maybe I need to take it back.

If someone can help me understand that would be great. Maybe a club laser effect like this is different than other uses.. I am a beginner and have no idea.

according to the documentation on the website: http://orion-fxlights.com/downloads/...orlaser103.pdf

Specifications
    Laser Output:** * 60mW Green DPSS,**150mW Red, 500mW Blue

that would be very much not eye safe.. also not class 3B, but class 4.

if you're in the US, it would not be a legal laser system.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

- First thing it would be nice to know where you are from to ensure what safety laws you need to follow in your area.
    - The power rating of your projector seems towards the lower side but I wouldn't shine a laser near someone no matter what power level it is.
    - Also my best advice is if you want to be mostly safe don't do crowd scanning period. Shine the lasers at ceiling far away from your viewers heads so it doesn't shine anywhere near them. They can still enjoy the beams from the fog that way too.
    - I'm sure someone who knows more about safety can give you all the specifics but hopefully this gives you an idea.

thank you for the quick reply. That is what I was afraid of. Ok I am going to take it back. Its not worth the risk... I am just thankful I am not injured myself right now after testing it.

I live in Toronto and purchased this laser from one of the cities top music stores (Long and McQuaid). I used to go the guvernment nightclub in Toronto and always loved their laser.... so it was just a fun idea for the mancave in my garage to add one and I had no idea how hazardous it could be. The laser at Guvernment used to shine down into the crowd.. spin around... do lots of things around you.. not just above you... so I always assumed those kinds of effects were safe (especially buying it at a well known music brand).

Out of curiosity... for this kind of eye damage... my assumption based on what i read is that the damage would be instant and permanent correct?... not something that would hit you days later for example?

Sorry for the newbie type questions... just nervous because we installed it and tested it that first night... and I did look at it... and I am fine right now... but feeling like I miraculously dodged a bullet.
    Last edited by darryltoronto; 09-11-2015 at 11:22. Reason: typos

Here is a link to the place I actually picked it up.
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/52970/P...el_Scanner.htm

I will have a chat with them as well.. they probably have no idea the risks either.

The strange part about this laser is that the design of it (as a triangle) shoots down and around all over the place... its not a straight bar laser. So even if you wanted to shoot it across the room it would shoot into the crowd. Blows my mind that something this dangerous would be legal. Thank you guys... so much... for the quick help and facts here. Man.. i could have injured myself.. and many friends.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by darryltoronto View Post
    Here is a link to the place I actually picked it up.
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/52970/P...el_Scanner.htm

I will have a chat with them as well.. they probably have no idea the risks either.

The strange part about this laser is that the design of it (as a triangle) shoots down and around all over the place... its not a straight bar laser. So even if you wanted to shoot it across the room it would shoot into the crowd. Blows my mind that something this dangerous would be legal. Thank you guys... so much... for the quick help and facts here. Man.. i could have injured myself.. and many friends.
    don't worry about your mind being blown... it is mostly likely not legal.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

haha. Thanks again for the help.

You can still have fun with it! Just be cautious and educated about how you use it that's all. In order to shine down into a crowd there is a lot more safety variables involved, but I still think it can be just equally as enjoyable if you take the safer route which is what I do.