Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing an new show

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I"d actually love to see whatever you come up with for a Grateful Dead tune! I!'ve tried to pick one to do but, haven't come up with one yet.
    PM Sent...

Well my Dead show is still in the works. Making frames is a time killer using the quick trace takes a lot of cleaning up so I spent some time bringing the Steal Your Face logo down to a manageable 300 points for my X-Laser Mobile Beat Mk V.

Although I have finished a show to the dance song Animals that I did for a wedding where the bride and groom walked into the hall for their first introduction along with my DMX lighting.

The Bob Marley show is almost done and I will post next. That one is with the Sun is Shining Dance Remix track.

What's the best place to post this stuff anyhow?
    ...and remember, it's not how far you go. It's how go you far.

Assuming you are programming with Pangolin software (and you are), a good spot is their showspace. www.pangolinshows.com
    There used to be an ftp site here on PL that got some traffic many years ago but, it created some issues in that, people would sign up for the forum, grab the shows and then leave and not come back. Or, post any of their own. It was supposed to be for "sharing" among members and, had just regular members been the ones with access, I can't even begin to think of the quality that would be available. I'd like to see it resurrected but, with requirement like, you have to be a senior (over 100 posts) member or something like that to gain access. I realize that would temporarily exclude you for example but, maybe not "senior" but say you had to be a member for at least 25 posts or, post regularly for a couple month window or "something".
    PM Sent...

I am getting an error uploading to pagolinshows.com so I sent the file to their support guy and he says he will post my show for me. I hope they fix the issue I'm having so I can upload more in the future. I will post a link when I see it uploaded I guess.

The show is ANIMALS by Martin Garrix (the radio edit).
    Although freeloaders suck, they can leach all they want on this project. I feel like this is my way of saying thanks to the folks that share their hard work at least.
    I had mostly finished the Bob Marley show last night and it was so late that when I went to shut down I DIDN'T SAVE in my haste to close apps and go to bed!!! Lost about 4 hours of work LOL. Oh well, it's always quicker the second time I do things.

I also just noticed that Pangolin has TraceIT as a program to create frames. Bonus! I wonder how much different it is than the program that is in quickshow itself. Gonna have to plug the dongle in to find out since I don't think it runs without it.

Ouch! I've been there though. I click "save" after about every 2 or 3 new cues. That's a mistake you don't make twice. I'm generally fine with uploading my shows there too. It was just this one since someone paid for it. I have several that I meant to upload in time for the competition and then forgot about it. I'm torn now as to whether I go ahead and upload them or wait until next year when they run the competition again. I've looked at some of the other submissions and I've had mixed feelings about whether mine are worthy or not or if I'm just embarrassing myself. I at least am confident that they are better than a lot of what's on there though. After you've watched enough shows you it becomes easy to quickly weed out the ones that aren't all that good. I have a rant post about that: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ogramming-rant
    It's hard to read now since the formatting of PL has gotten all screwed up.
    PM Sent...

Well after a few minor issues uploading to the PangolinShows page, my show has been uploaded. The only issue is that the video preview is not synched how I intended with the music. It's a few milliseconds off where the first cue starts early, but I guess whoever downloads it will have to shift it a lil if they really notice where the beats line up with the cues.

It's not the best show in the world but I'm new and only gonna get better. It's all about the time I can put into this. Working as a mechanical engineer my time can be limited but being an amateur artist/musician, my potential is high I do believe (Fluffing myself a lil bit, talk amongst yourselves).

I'm still learning quickshow's potential with the effects and a few limitations such as no dimming capabilities or color blending but it's a good start. Down the road I will upgrade and spend more than I want to on both lasers and software upgrades. A build will also be a goal while I play with these toys, just need to start my reading so if you have any links to useful threads for amateurs looking to build knowledge please send them my way.

Eventually I will make some shows with some original music too. I wonder if swears are going to be an issue, LOL.

Video preview:
    http://www.pangolinshows.com/preview_1645.html

Download (log in to site first then click this link):
    http://www.pangolinshows.com/downloa...1645_u5385.zip

Enjoy!

Looks good so far. I have one pertinent question for you though.... have you actually watched this in laser and, if so, how did you set it up and project it? You've mixed beam cues, graphic cues and abstract cues together which look great in a preview window but, how do you display it in real life?
    PM Sent...

I have watched this in laser and I am using this as a graphics show against the wall. Not really meant as a beam show in the context of what I was envisioning. I had to keep it somewhat simple to keep the flickering down to a minimum with my projector.

Ok, just wondering. So it should basically look just like your preview window. I made the mistake early on of mixing some graphics in with what I intended to be a beam show and after watching it the first time realized you couldn't possibly decipher what the graphic was in the air.
    PM Sent...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	viol-P1010846.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	4.77 MB 
ID:	48899

Name:	skull-P1010857.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	4.73 MB 
ID:	48900

Name:	rose-P1010854.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	48901
    Attachment 48902

Greatful Dead?!
    I unfortunately do not have much to show from this, I had also a doctor and prescription logo stuff for "Doctor Doctor" (is that the name of that tune?), a flying skull with the wings.
    -
    These photos are from my first show around 1992, I had just gotten this system setup and there was no blanking .
    -
    I had an Omnichrome 532 multiline, G120's and a Laser Artistry galvo amp. Running BeamFX software/LaserMAX ISA DAC board, both by LaserNET (in Florida).
    -
    The system later went full RGB color. I added color seperating dichros to divide up the multiline argon, AOM's for blanking and a HeNe for red (I eventually went with mechanical blanking using G124's).
    -
    The band was Arthur Lee and the Next Step, from Chicago. A Greatful Dead cover band.
    This was at Williams Uptown Underground in Minneapolis, MN.
    Last edited by LaserCo; 11-18-2015 at 19:35. Reason: one more picture