Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question about ILDA to USB adapters.

Default Noob question about ILDA to USB adapters.

Hi folks,

This is my first post and what a great forum it is.

I have been lucky enough to be given an early Christmas present from the inlaws of a Kam Laserscan Hyper 3d.

I have been researching lots about ILDA software, like Quickshow and iShow etc. The noob question I have is, if I was to buy iShow and USB adapter could I use that adapter with other software, like Quickshow or will I have to buy Pangolin's box of tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

ishow is generally regarded as the worst laser software in the known universe. i suggest you avoid it at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by markiowuk View Post
    Hi folks,

This is my first post and what a great forum it is.

I have been lucky enough to be given an early Christmas present from the inlaws of a Kam Laserscan Hyper 3d.

I have been researching lots about ILDA software, like Quickshow and iShow etc. The noob question I have is, if I was to buy iShow and USB adapter could I use that adapter with other software, like Quickshow or will I have to buy Pangolin's box of tricks?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Ditto what was said.
    To answer your question that DAC will not work with pangolin or LSX.
    leading in trailing technology

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

iShow will work with Spaghetti though but if you go for Spaghetti you might as well grab the Riya Lite as Gary is selling them as a bundle.
    If you want cheapest, go with Riya Lite.
    If you want best bang for the buck go with Etherdream.
    If you want to spend chitloads of money go with Pangolin.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Ditto what has been said about iShow. DO. NOT. WASTE. YOUR. MONEY.

Now... keep in mind your answers above have been given by some people who are extremely talented with a program called LSX. And yes, Etherdream is a great DAC for several of the less expensive pieces of software (such as Spaghetti, LSX,) but, do not discount Pangolin and Quickshow just because it costs a little more. "chitloads" is not exactly a measurable definition. There is a tremendous amount of value and support built into that extra little bit of money. And shows. And tutorial videos. And things it can do that the other software can't. And to be fair... there are things LSX does that a program like Quickshow can't. Part of the decision process is... what your aspirations and needs are for using your laser.

Oh... and I forgot the most important disclaimer... this is NOT an inexpensive endeavor. Boats, women and drugs are far cheaper things to get into. Kiss any hope of financial solvency goodbye. You have been sufficiently warned. It's a hell of a ride!
    PM Sent...

Pangolin QS is the quickest way to doing stuff in my opinion. I use both LSX and Pangolin beyond. Each have there benifits, but just doin stuff was quicker for me in QS.
    However I really like how things are done in LSx once understood and the new max program for the etherdream is awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Welcome.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	48449....The Alcoholics Anonmous equivalent in the world of lasers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Ditto ....... Boats, women and drugs are far cheaper things to get into. Kiss any hope of financial solvency goodbye. You have been sufficiently warned. It's a !hell of a ride!
    They all lead inevitably into lasers anyway !

Name:	icon_joint.gif 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	48456 Even Patrick back in the day ...started with LSD before getting to LD......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zonked.gif 
Size:	226 Bytes 
ID:	48458

On the other hand........ "There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.".....(YIkes! ... I mean Yeats)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oops.gif 
Size:	1.6 KB 
ID:	48465

Name:	poke2.gif 
Size:	1.4 KB 
ID:	48468 IMHO .. U don't need a DAC just yet ..... start with any old laser (or new in your case) with a set of scanners (electric toothbrushes & a couple of mirrors would have worked but that just gives the equivalent of modern disco crap)!

Forget about what all these other lazy buggers have told you, ..... grab a soldering iron, get some pots and a few quadrature oscillators and have a quick butcher's, at what music could looked like if Microsoft had been Moog!

If your short on $ ......and the projector doesn't work,... a load of toy motors with mirrors stuck on the shafts,some wire wound pots and a couple of batteries (bagpipes ) ....will also give you a quick hit if you are in a big hurry!

So tread softly my friend ....and have a great time !
    Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 09-22-2015 at 01:29. Reason: Getting old ..forgot the bagpipes!

Thank you for all your replies and Catalanjo, right up my street but no time to facilitate said 'homebrew'. I shall start with my early Christmas present and see where it expensively takes me, but I am sure it will be worth it in the end. Pangolin is the way forward and will have to wait for a few more pay checks before that investment can be done.

Time to look at LSX ;-)

@ "Pangolin is the way forward"..... more like sideways IMHO ... you'll get Disneyfied in the wink of an eye!

Pango is more a last resort if U can't do something any other way !

Kind of like photoshop for artists .. you can't learn sculpture very well if you start with leggo!.... Ur better off with clay!

Not wishing to be rude ..... but check out "Aldebaran.com" before buying any expensive Maclaserburgers !

Cheers

but check out "Aldebaran.com" before buying any expensive Maclaserburgers
    ...what has that got to do with lasers?