Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change to WA regulations

Default Change to WA regulations

Kit may correct me, in four years as an LSO I have received just one update to the regulations for entertainment lasers in WA.

The change was, that the regs do not cover Q switched lasers used for entertainment.

At first I thought how silly. Then it dawned on me, maybe I am no longer constrained by the 5W limit if I use a Q switched laser?

This week I turned down an outdoor gig, simply because I don't have the horsepower to pull off anything worthwhile.
    This space for rent.

Speak to me next time Wayne, I can help out with some big stuff

Speaking to Kit a few weeks back, he mentioned the 5w limit has been lifted in WA, but it doesn't surprise me that QSwitched lasers are still no go, as they are inherently dangerous. Thats simple to get around - dont use laserscopes
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Yeah, time for something with more punch.
    This space for rent.

If you need some 30W Arctos RRGBs, we're happy to hire them from NZ. Been looking to work closer with AU market. Cheers!

Hi Wayne long time brother, it's been tooooo long.

Yes the arbitrary "no continuos wave laser shall exceed 5 watts" limit has been removed from the list of conditions!!! Yeah baby! That's one step forward for the nanny state! Pretty much everything else is the same.

I was thinking about this possibility of pulsed lasers to skirt that condition as it doesn't mention pulsed lasers in the conditions list. The Australian standards have a table which outlines limits for pulsed lasers but I never calculated what the average power would equate to. Also I never seriously considered that route due to limited laser time under my belt to play with such dangerous big boys.....errr...toys

That's why I bought the Rgblasersystems RGB6 so I could do the best show I could legally do under the then current laws.

But now! That we can have over 5watts, I'm very keen to get involved in the arms race
    I have a friend who is chomping to build a few projectors too. The crazy good power and specs from the new 465nm Blues is very exciting! As always red.... Oh with the red and direct green, they could do with a bump to make monster RGBs within our reach.

Oh, I bought an old Bridgeport milling machine! A few weeks ago. One buck tick off my bucket list.
    It will speed up the prototype/R&D cycle quiet a bit. Just about to cut first metal on it today.

Nice Kit. My previous employer had 3 x Bridgeport s, 2 of them CNC. Old but ok.

You realise we can do festivals now right? Brother Dave has offered to supply the big guns. Got your attention yet?
    This space for rent.

Oh, I'm listening

With Dave's 25w RGB, we're in the game. Plus with some of the new diodes appearing it's making 10w+ diy builds well within reach. I've always thought 1-3 or at most 5 high power projectors look great. Dan Briggs with AC Laser really get it right I think.

The Bridgeport, well I did some test machining today which turned out fine. It's cost me as much fixing her up as I paid for it and the same in tooling, actually more in tooling. I'm pretty much ready to roll. Next is a digital readout. I haven't bought a rotary table or indexing head yet. I'll buy them when I need them.

I converted it to single phase using a VSD. Had to buy a new 1.5kw motor as the original motor wasn't suitable for running 240v 3 phase.

Hit me up if you need any bits for your projector modded ect

Sounds sweet. How's your RGB these days, operational? Fancy doing an Artifactory show with me?
    This space for rent.

The green crapped out in April..... Sent it back... Out of warranty. $1500AUD including shipping.... sigh... On the bright side, it now does more power than it did when I bought it. Does 5.5W at aperture now.

I did a steady state log of power over 20mins. It was winter and the ambient temp was 18deg C. Usually the green ramps up slowly over 10-15mins when the ambient is above the TEC set point. When I did the log at ambient of 18deg it jumped straight up and slowly decayed to a steady state. Probably not news to anyone who's spent a lot of time with TECs and DPSS lasers. I'm interested to do another log now the weather is warmer.

Artifactory? Yeah cool, if I'm in town at the time up for it.

How about we pool everything and do dual FOH operators?
    This space for rent.