Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLEM 2016!!!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Correct. Well..... Usually about three hours of it is Sunday since we drag goodbyes out 'til about 3 am. Most of us have a lot of travelling to do so Sunday is kind of necessary for that. This event is uniquely different from SELEM. Still very worthwhile but different. A lot gets packed into 2 days.
    PM Sent...

Ok, thanks. Where do people stay?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

There is a Holiday Inn Express maybe 90 seconds from the boathouse. Most people stay there although, a few have stayed a few miles away at places they have found a little cheaper.

As a side note, I have both flown and driven. If you fly, Orlando is about a 45 minute drive and I've had no issues getting in and out with a rental car. If you drive, with your car and stopping every 200 miles, you probably want to leave like... Tuesday.
    I can actually do it in about 13 hours from my place and it wasn't awful. The drive down though was broken up with an overnight stay at Adam's and then a 3 hour lunch break in Jacksonville with Ed and DZ. Although, coming home last time I got stuck in traffic hell south of DC that added about 2-3 extra hours to the trip.
    (I expect to drive again this time.)
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 10-22-2015 at 05:30.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    As a side note, I have both flown and driven. If you fly, Orlando is about a 45 minute drive and I've had no issues getting in and out with a rental car. If you drive, with your car and stopping every 200 miles, you probably want to leave like... Tuesday.
    Yeah, I've been to central Florida many times. I drove down there earlier this year, and it does take two days (including charging stops). On the way down, coincidentally, I stopped overnight in Charlestown for a family Bar Mitzvah. Then on the drive back, I stopped in Fayetteville, NC for the night. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it like you do in one long burn. According to my records, going from Vero Beach FL (about 1.5 hours south of Orlando) to Greenwich, CT (about 3 hours north of Newark, DE) it took me 20 hours of driving and 6 hours or charging. So yeah, it's a two day ordeal. But (a) I don't have to pay for "gas", and (b) I don't have to pay for a flight or rental car. But I do have to pay for two nights in a hotel during the trip. I'll probably drive to FLEM.

Just a slight correction: Technically FLEM is 1.5 days... We normally can't get into the venue before noon, and it's often after 3 PM before we get there. (Depends on when everyone arrives in town, really.) Then too, a lot of Friday is setup. True, because it's such a small venue the setup goes fast, but we spend a lot of time talking and geeking out while hauling stuff in and hooking it up.

Normally we finish loading-in and setting up around 6-7 PM and go out for dinner. There's a mom-and-pop Italian place just up the block (Angelo's) that is really good! After dinner we go back to the venue and stay until around midnight. By this time we've got music playing and lasers running, but we're also geeking out the whole time...

Saturday things kick off at 9 or 10 in the morning, and as Brad said we often run until 2 or 3 in the morning. Saturday is usually when Bill Benner shows up, and some of the locals who have to work on Friday often can make it until Saturday as well. So that's the main portion of the event.

It's very unstructured. In a lot of ways it's more like the early SELEM events. (And, I'm told, also similar to the UKLEM events.) FLEM is more like what goes on behind the curtain on stage at SELEM. Or in the ion laser work room at SELEM. (The work room for FLEM is the kitchen, since that's the only place we have 220 V power available!) So it is very different, but it's still quite special in it's own way.

Adam

can anyone help me replace the Y mirror on a 6800 set? mine just split off (yay!) and I have a chinese mirror that's pretty similar if that will work? I just don't have steady hands at all

Frank-
    I can definitely give you a hand with the mirror. If you've got mirror and scanner shaft dimensions, I can also print you a very precise glue-up jig.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    can anyone help me replace the Y mirror on a 6800 set? mine just split off (yay!) and I have a chinese mirror that's pretty similar if that will work? I just don't have steady hands at all
    Bring it to FLEM Frank, and we'll glue the new mirror on and tune the scanners afterwards. And major kudos to David for volunteering to make you a jig to hold everything while the glue dries. I've replaced mirrors without a jig, but it's a whole lot easier to get it right if you have one!

Adam

I'll try and measure it up, have a caliper

ya the scanners are waaayyyyy out of tune (amps and scanners are not matched) but shows look fine interestingly enough

It's amazing how good scanners can look even when they are really far out of tune. It just shows that most of the time the scanners aren't running wide-open.

No worries though. We'll get it all squared away in March!

Adam