Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Trends

I do nothing but build kits, buying ready made isn't for me.

although due to time I don't do as much as I used to and not as exciting, I still try to post as much as possible
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

VDX,
    That is what I am talking about. Have you fantasized about picosecond sources?

I'm not talking so much about building projectors as about building, researching, modifying or supercharging some technology. If it isn't worth it to build what you can buy then I'm all for buying, but that isn't worth talking about. I bought an Audi you bought a Volvo...OK... unless you bought a VW there isn't much worth talking about.

MEMS
    ultra-fast
    Fibers
    320W 532s
    targeting
    chemical lasers
    weapons
    solar lasers
    LIDAR
    artificial stars

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i have a couple projector build projects in the works (including a new lumia eggbeater) and recently wrapped up a build for another forum member.

and i'm re-building my laser cutter
    and working on incorporating microprocessors and WS2812 leds into art projects (like the cube i brought to selem)
    and working a soul destroying day job

it's a lot easier and a bit more instantly gratifying to fire up lsx and work on show programming after a long work day than muck about building things in the hot garage.

i am really looking forward to building some high power multi-mode diode projectors. i don't really have a good venue for using them, but the desire is strong.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Personally, I'm working on build #10 now and updating the 9 others for things like more powerful diodes, better color balance, better beam characteristics as well as more routine maintenance like tweaking near-field alignment, applying lessons learned in later builds to earlier builds, attaching safety-scan lens holders directly to the cases (no adhesive as that stuff eventually gives out in high room temps), etc. etc. I only have one purchased projector, but that doesn't get used except at SELEM. I have nothing against the inexpensive quality builds that we see from Lightspace and elsewhere, but in my environment, I find building my own is still necessary. For example, I'm building a 1.5W single mode projector with Compact 506's into a white case that's smaller than a tissue box, weight of about 3 lbs, and made to be mounted using a PICO projector / camera mount or stood on its side or bottom as desired. Such a thing can't be purchased as far as I know. Most of my other builds do double or tripple duty between graphics/beams and custom lumia. Most of those have odd shaped cases in order to fit in really funny nooks and crannies, like between wall joists so they can be pushed flush against the drywall on the inside. Again, not something I can buy from Goldenstar, Lightspace or Kvant. Add to that a desire to choose my own diode drivers, include DZ color correction boards whenever there is a dpss involved, allow for quick swaps of diodes when newer higher-power ones come out, it really does become a build-my-own necessity.

None of my builds are innovative, high power death-stars, or sporting unique optics, so I don't bother documenting most of them here. Furthermore, for me, the projector and other lighting hardware builds are fun, but really a means to an end and that's creating immersive light/laser/video shows. For those that really don't have unique requirements for lasers, I fully understand purchasing, but when I need something specific done, I'd rather do it myself.

-David

P.S. White-Light: That club video was awesome. I'm not adding real fire or sparks to my (private) environment though - nor a DJ who pumps his fist 90% of the time!
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    VDX,
    That is what I am talking about. Have you fantasized about picosecond sources?
    ... this 'laser-photoflash' was only for pulses of some hundred nanoseconds to microseconds length, so no real problem.

For shorter pulses with more effé I'll use my old N2-TAE-laser (built around 1976) with 200ps long pulses of max. 400kW peak power and 337nm wavelength

Most other actual projects are around laser-assisted or -based AM (Additive Manufacturing) and some development in laser-engraving applications for stereotypes ...

Viktor

I can do some of the pyrotechnics but not for public, the permit would mean i would need to buy land away from things that don't like fire, like humans and other types of wildlife.

I have liked Tesla builds but i get lost in the math very fast, i took mine apart due to damage in a house fire(not due to me) I have all the parts i need to rebuild the tank circuit and make an arrestor to protect the main neon transformer that are getting hard to find here, oddly after the fire i located all of my neon transformers but the pole pig was badly damaged and i dont know if it will ever work again, at lest at full power, when the firemen put out my house due to my neighbor the case was flooded with water, it's not had power since 2006 as it took a long time to find insulators and i am lazy.

Lasers in the frozen north are still a novelty here and more so when stuffed into odd things, i still get a good kick out of that. and i like trying to reuse failed lasers and parts just for the learning of it, I have always repaired audio/medical stuff and have no experience in laser projection so that makes it still new for me, i am a kid at heart so lasers have always been interesting. getting a failed dpss to put out a beam is fun as well, i swear i will get that 473nm to lase!

anyway that's my thoughts for now
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    I've done live shows with both these aspects... H&S isn't the problem, budgets are the problem. In the UK, dance promoters generally aren't interested in putting on a great show with interesting and different things going on, more interested in raking in the money for as little expenditure as possible.

There are exceptions to the rule, and Arcadia are the most obvious one Check out their collaboration with Mutiod Race Team
    Arcadia looks awesome Wookie.

I just can't see anyone getting approval for firing rockets on wires across the heads of an audience in an indoor venue given that many councils these days won't allow audience scanning with lasers even by qualified operators due to the elf and safety brigade.

I must admit I'm surprised in the UK if Arcadia were able to get permission and insurance for the fireworks over a crowd unless the spider was mounted in front of the audience rather than in the middle of it and the fireworks were actually mounted back from the spider or away from the audience. An acquaintance of mine has a fireworks display company and fireworks regulations usually specify a distance back from the crowd that includes not only the safe distance for the type of firework but also plus an additional fallout zone to prevent the crowd from being showered in any debris / sparks. Any insurer in the UK is feeling brave if they allow fireworks to be mounted and fired directly overhead, especially after the incident at the Wolves football match, where despite a "safe" distance, a member of the audience was injured:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/3254094.stm

Yeah it was a freak accident but normally, insurers these days generally, seem to be pretty paranoid about risks.

Anyway, I diverge the thread a little and apologise for that.

I just can't see anyone getting approval for firing rockets on wires across the heads of an audience in an indoor venue given that many councils these days won't allow audience scanning with lasers even by qualified operators due to the elf and safety brigade.
    You've obviously never been the The Fridge in Brixton then (now Electric Brixton), who used to do it nightly. Given that they're also in the same licensing area as Brixton Academy and the 2 venues are still 2 of the places I need to advance laser paperwork for, I'd say H&S are well on top of that sort of thing.

I'm back there this Saturday night actually with 4 projectors and some scrim work... got an epic stage set lined up for a post Burning Man 'Afterburn' party.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Al. Line rockets are easy. Pretty much any venue in the UK will let you do them (even Brent Council who cover Wembley and are notoriously picky!) have been ok as long as we proved we could do it safely.

Most things are doable if you can prove you know what you're doing...
    It's just a case of filing the right paperwork and knowing your job... H&S are actually pretty amenable if you don't act like a dick... it's "Health and Safety Officers" at venues that are usually the problem as alot of them don't know how things are done and have just done a course to get the job... if they're new, they can be a pain until you prove you know what you're doing...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

White-Light,

That guy at 32 seconds is terrifying. Lock him up! That rocket didn't VEER off course. It followed a straight trajectory toward the woman. It probably tipped over. But, the city consul is pursuing a full investigation. What... they're going to indite the Chinese slave child that built the rocket for targeting a football fan? Western civilization in the hands of eunuchs and I'm looking for suggestions.