Thread: DIY IP65 temperature controlled outdoor housing

Question DIY IP65 temperature controlled outdoor housing

I'm interested in building waterproof and temperature controlled housing for a fixed installation setup. Any suggestions on materials and what not? Any of your own DIY setups you'd like to share for ideas?

I think that a member here has had good results using a cctv camera housing as a basis for a similar build... thing it was UK member Gashed, but can't be sure from memory...
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

It might be a tad radical but here's my take on this! ...... access...access .... access !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idea.gif 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	48520Always try and use a pre-manufactured outer housing and modify it to suit specific needs since outer finish is aesthetically already sorted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	48521 I have an egg shaped, novelty mini beer can fridge projector, which was conceived (by me ) to go on top of my car, aerodynamic,easy access hermetically sealed door/lid insulated PVC outer skin, thin sheet ally pressed inner skin, and built in peltier & fan even before modifying case!

PSU had to be separate (space issues) and in my case is 12vdc only so as to run on car's batteries, (cables run up the side of windscreen)!

Earlier model used an ABS "saxophone case as outer shell (upright to gain height,), with internal mains inverter and moisture detector..... biggest hassle always seems to be the hood & output window /mini windscreen wipers (headlight washers/wipers from breakers yard) !

So for permanent outside install, I would usually recommend starting with a glass door smallish nice looking inox/ally fridge (especially in hot climates), as door seals are usually excellent (waterproof), giving really good access and internal ambient temp largely sorted!

Hope this helps Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheersbeer.gif 
Size:	1,023 Bytes 
ID:	48511
    Cheers

Thanks. Yeah my first idea was to use a catering food container. They're insulated and waterproof. I just need to figure out the best way to install temperature control and fanning as I'm wanting to have the projectors kept outdoors in cold weather. What kind of heating solutions work best? manufacturers? The cctv camera housing kits would be ideal if you could actually fit a projector in them. It sucks too because you can find them for like $40. Say it's for a laser projector, and then people want to charge $4000. go figure.

If you use a peltier fridge you can invert current flow and it becomes a heater instead of a cooler !
    Cheers

Yeah i would recommend peltier as well, they work just as well when hooked up backwards, a lot of the coolers for cars and can be switched for heat if needed and they easily pump out the heat. older cctv housings i have come across are fairly large but very old and used resistive heating, if a projector can be fit into a vacuum cleaner then an old cctv housing would be large enough if you got one from say the 1970's.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu