Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laserman532 - what ya been doing?

Default Laserman532 - what ya been doing?

I have been working (volunteering and helping to build) the new High Desert Maker Mill http://www.makermill.org (a new maker space still under construction here in Bend, Or) for about a year now. We are trying to build a wonderful space for young entraprenures to learn skills and to help them learn how use tools and equipment SAFELY. We have a flatbed laser engraver and I have donated a Galvo Based CO2 Marking system. Too much to type about this place but it is a non-profit corporation who rely on local support and generous donations..... wait for it...

I have also donated a 2' x 4' newport optical table and a BIG box of optical gear to set up a "Laser 101" course that I will put together hopefully in the near future. What I am looking for is small running visible lasers or modules (anything that runs basically any power will work, I or someone I personally train will be responsible for ANY laser being operated safely)...these can be surplus mazy modules you have laying around or even something you built that you are no longer needing. I would like to have a variety of wavelengths (as we all would) for demonstration purposes. I have donated my ILT air cooled argon (with a dispersion prism) which is the most powerful laser in the arsenal...25 mw. The course will be very basic in nature and hitting especially hard on the safety aspect when dealing with lasers. Especially of not doing dumb things like pointing ANY laser at people, cars or aircraft should they or their friends come along surplus pointers and such. None of this equipment will be used for commercial purposes. There is no budget (for now) If you have a module that can be made to work with minimal expense (which will probably fall on me personally) I would still be interested in those. If the lasers will need small enclosures I will make them. Pointers would be fine, but I am looking for "labby" type gear. If I get a pointer it will probably be mounted to the table. PLEASE - NO water cooled lasers, junk or obsolete doorstops....I have plenty of that I could donate. I will be making some sort of recognition sign for the people who donate.

Anyway...I thought I would throw it out there and see if anything sticks. PM me if you want more details or have concerns about your donations. I could also pay shipping if it is reasonable. I will be happy to answer any questions on the forum you may have. Thank you everyone for reading this!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Way to pay it forward Pat. Good karma. Pura vida!

Great Idea.... Looks very interesting.
    I just love gadgets. Keep us updates Pat.

Jerry
    Last edited by lasersbee; 10-04-2015 at 03:59.
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Your post prompted me to go through some boxes and do some testing of things removed from old builds. I've got about ten units here that could use a good home (473nm, 532nm, and 635-650nm). All of the heads and most of the drivers are enclosed in solid DHOM-type casings.

A few questions for you though:
    What kind of powers are you looking for? The ones I have here range from 38mw to 615mw as tested.

Do you need them to modulate, or is the plan to just have them lase when plugged in (I have a mix of both)?

Does beam quality matter? Obviously 473's are gorgeous and 532nm are generally decent, but the reds are generally something like 1 inch squares at 86 feet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2452.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	48561

Let me know if anything fits your needs and I'll PM you the details.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Your post prompted me to go through some boxes and do some testing of things removed from old builds. I've got about ten units here that could use a good home (473nm, 532nm, and 635-650nm). All of the heads and most of the drivers are enclosed in solid DHOM-type casings.

A few questions for you though:
    What kind of powers are you looking for? The ones I have here range from 38mw to 615mw as tested.

Do you need them to modulate, or is the plan to just have them lase when plugged in (I have a mix of both)?

Does beam quality matter? Obviously 473's are gorgeous and 532nm are generally decent, but the reds are generally something like 1 inch squares at 86 feet.

Name:	IMG_2452.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	48561

Let me know if anything fits your needs and I'll PM you the details.

-David
    David, Thank you for the consideration of the donation. We will take just about anything that functions, I have some clock motors and glass things that we may make as lumia projects...I have some scanners that could be put together (with effort). We have a 16 x 9 screen that I may make little remote nebula or "machete type" effects to shoot over the space. I have some small front surface mirrors to make a grid or something. So basically what I am lacking is the light...so what ever you wish to donate is Greatly appreciated....If you would like a tax donation number let me know. To keep this from being a public event, everyone who enters the building signs a waver and NO one but me or some other person of my choosing will be allowed to operate them. Here is a pic of the screen and our LCD projector installation. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12079146_534564023368823_2439919045516847259_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	48568
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Thanks a lot Steve - we have come a long way since 1977 when you ruined my life! for those who don't know..Photonbeam was my mentor...
    Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Way to pay it forward Pat. Good karma. Pura vida!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Pat,

I will have to stop by and see this next time I am in Bend. I will dig through my box of stuff and see if I can find anything useful.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Pat,

I will have to stop by and see this next time I am in Bend. I will dig through my box of stuff and see if I can find anything useful.

-Adam
    any time Adam... I might even be able to hold a mini lem here! BRILLIANT!

I got my 30 watt Co2 engraver that I built in 1999 installed and after 15 years in an unopened crate in my garage when I moved from Texas, I got her working again...notice the package is similar to my COBRA yag system..there is a cheesy video at High desert maker mill site.

Name:	IMG_5983.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	48577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5984.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	48578
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Huge shout out to Dkumpula for stepping up big time...we got some blues, some greens & some reds...all very nicely wired and functioning beautifully! Thanks a million David!

I have received offers from folks for "surplus" type non functioning gear...THANK YOU for the offers, but we just can't take the time or funds to repair, but thank you for offering!

I would still love to collect cylindrical HeNe or a running air cooled argon laser. The one I donated looks like it is dying very low power...

Would gladly accept anymore Chinese modules that you would have collecting dust.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    I would still love to collect cylindrical HeNe or a running air cooled argon laser.
    I don't have an air cooled head but I do have a NIB goldbox argon power supply if somebody has an ALC60X around...

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.