Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any advice on buying a 3000€ - 3500€ range RGB laser projector?

Arctos and Kvant are 2 totally different projectors so comparing them is comparing apples and lemons. Quallity of arctos is a different league then a Kvant. Kvant these days is similar to eightonllight in my opinion. Eightonlight is a chinese company that copied kvant one on one and comes very close. Swamidog is right, it depends what your purpose is. When doing beamshows only you could go with 1.5mrd full angle but when doing graphics also everything above 1mrd is rubish. Having that said a low divergence projector from arctos is 2-3 times as bright as the Kvant. Check the kvant specs because they specify their divergence in half angle so you need to double that to get the real specs. Its a sales trick so it looks better on Paper. Check also RGBlasersystems they have very good projectors with low divergence and good overal quallity.

http://rgblasersystem.com/products/p...-mini-up-to-5w

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Hamill View Post
    We are also thinkinga about hiring a Laser here in Spain and another one with same specs in NY (where we will do the show) but we are afraid of having technical issues and hardware incompatibilities.
    What does your abbreviation NY stand for? It's not "New York", in the USA is it?
    PM Sent...

Hi Hamill,
    We received your email, thanks for this. I'll call you tomorrow.
    Regards
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"

Yes, I meant New York.

We are looking for a "good" RGB Laser projector for the quite limited budget we have. I know it´s a really open and almost impossible demand like asking for the best 3000 to 3500€ video-camera. Tons of options depending on the needs of the user. I also understand we are not going to get the ultimate technology or the best luminosity. We just want to hear your opinions about what could be a good laser to start and which brands or models would be better to avoid.

We would like to focus on projecting our own animations. They are really simple shapes based on oscilloscopes using the DAC we already have ( http://ether-dream.com/ ). We wan to trigger/modify them by MIDI, sensors or any other input sources. The work of Memo Atken ( https://vimeo.com/67349934 ) is a reference of what we are aiming to. Once we get something interesting, we would like to make a little show indoors for a small audience. Just as a VDJ session but using lasers instead of regular projectors.

What about Memo´s video?
    Do you recognize the projector he´s using?
    He also wrote it´s a 90kpps tests Is this possible?

Cheers!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

ether-dream is an excellent choice. i was going to recommend it.

also, LSX is excellent and inexpensive for show creation (i use it for abstracts) and it works very well with the ether-dream.

Yes, I meant New York.

We are looking for a "good" RGB Laser projector for the quite limited budget we have. I know it´s a really open and almost impossible demand like asking for the best 3000 to 3500€ video-camera. Tons of options depending on the needs of the user. I also understand we are not going to get the ultimate technology or the best luminosity. We just want to hear your opinions about what could be a good laser to start and which brands or models would be better to avoid.

We would like to focus on projecting our own animations. They are really simple shapes based on oscilloscopes using the DAC we already have ( http://ether-dream.com/ ). We wan to trigger/modify them by MIDI, sensors or any other input sources. The work of Memo Atken ( https://vimeo.com/67349934 ) is a reference of what we are aiming to. Once we get something interesting, we would like to make a little show indoors for a small audience. Just as a VDJ session but using lasers instead of regular projectors.

What about Memo´s video?

Cheers!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    What does your abbreviation NY stand for? It's not "New York", in the USA is it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	196 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	48540 I have a sinking feeling that NY does mean New York which means that the whole "variance" thing is going to cause them a whole bunch of grief !
    Hamill ... no puedes hacer un show laser en Nueva York sin carnet USA y otros permisos !
    Lets hope that Jors will explain this to him when they talk tomorrow !

Cheers

Yes, I meant New York.

What about Memo´s video?

Cheers!
    RTI PIKO RGB 4W LP...I think discontinued model
    Last edited by jors; 10-01-2015 at 12:07.
    Jordi Luque

AtenLaser.com
    Barcelona

"Let there be light"

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You need an operator with a NYS Class B license to play public laser gigs in New York State . There are only a handful of them legally allowed to do that....
    -
    It is a rather difficult license to get. If you do not have a licensed operator, and one of them finds out about your gig, they will call enforcement out on you in a heartbeat.. There are also daily state fees for doing the show.
    -
    Many buildings there have low ceiling heights, and gear hanging down. Laser shows without site surveys are not a good idea.
    -
    Make sure you have a local with the NYS license....
    -
    En Estado de Nuevo York , necesita una persona local con un permiso especial o cuaderno o carnet...

Google Translated..

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 09-30-2015 at 15:57.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Arctos and Kvant are 2 totally different projectors so comparing them is comparing apples and lemons. Quallity of arctos is a different league then a Kvant. Kvant these days is similar to eightonllight in my opinion. Eightonlight is a chinese company that copied kvant one on one and comes very close. Swamidog is right, it depends what your purpose is. When doing beamshows only you could go with 1.5mrd full angle but when doing graphics also everything above 1mrd is rubish. Having that said a low divergence projector from arctos is 2-3 times as bright as the Kvant. Check the kvant specs because they specify their divergence in half angle so you need to double that to get the real specs. Its a sales trick so it looks better on Paper. Check also RGBlasersystems they have very good projectors with low divergence and good overal quallity.

Dear Edison,

you are more than welcome to visit us ANY time with a projector that is similar power to ClubMax 3000 and 2-3x brighter. We would really love to see that. We'll happily make a video of the lasers being compared and post it here afterwards - no tricks.
    We can also compare how both will cope with graphics and measure the real beam divergence to see whether the price difference is something that can be justified and whether KVANT is really that different from other good systems.
    Below are my contact details which you can use to get it touch with me to schedule a meeting in our factory over in Slovakia.
    Martin Pelikan
    KVANT Laser Systems UK
    www.kvantlasers.co.uk

Yes, this would be a huge problem. I think we would have to externalize the laser installation with the help of a local laser-show company. Any ideas?
    Then it would be just a matter of checking the compatibility of the lasers and DAC between our equipment and the rented one, right?

Would also a single color laser (ILDA capable) make things easier/cheaper?
    Which one do you recommend me?

This is been really helpful, guys!