Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Burning Man cleaning advice?

Default Post Burning Man cleaning advice?

Ok, so I've got a pair of lasers I built for BM back to me for cleaning and service.
    Hopefully it'll be the driver deck that's worst as the top was pretty well sealed.
    I heard they had some pretty fierce dust storms this year so I'm expecting they took in quite a lot through the unfiltered exhaust fans.

Any advice on do's and dont's?

Feeling the dust I can see that using any sort of fluid initially would be a no-no. I've got an airline which can be adjusted for pressure. I'm thinking a partial strip and blow out with airline whilst using a soft brush.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I don't know if this is a good idea with optics but other parts i use a steam cleaner, that generally works out very well, even if it's rum and coke spilled into a power supply, but it seems to work well for pcb and other stuff, optics you would get water inside and cause major fogging. steam and a clean brush do work wonders with no solvents
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I would try this:

1. Low pressure blow out to move the bulk easy stuff.
    2. Coat all optics in First Contact.
    3. High pressure blow out, aided with a small soft paint brush and/cloth.
    4. Pull the first contact and repeat from step 2.
    This space for rent.

The playa dust is apparently very alkaline so I wanted to avoid making a solution of it if possible. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to tough optics but it'll be First Contact if I do I think.
    Frikkin Lasers

I don't think a few minutes in solution would be bad.
    This space for rent.

the water from my well is probably worse that anything that can make, not having a steam cleaner would be a problem though, the one i use has hose to the hand piece, it's a lot better then the cheesy "shark brand" but i got it from a thrift store, and i have used it many times on power supplies, driver boards for lasers and a few other things and then blast it dry with compressed air.
    parts like inductors and potentiometers i do not hit with steam, if you item has these then i would not use a stream cleaner around them.

Deionized water would be safe to use since it has basically no minerals in it that will leave a residue behind
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

I've spoken with a few laserists who have taken equipment to "the burn". They all say the same thing: You have two categories of gear - stuff that has been to Burning man, and stuff that hasn't. Because once a projector is exposed to the Playa dust, it is never the same.

Good luck with the cleaning!

Adam

He he. How to best clean a Projector post burning man?

Don't take it there!
    This space for rent.

To be fair, they were built specifically for the sound camp, so it wasn't really in their history to 'not' go to BM....
    Frikkin Lasers

Hermetically sealed is the answer. Cooling is a challenge but definitely doable.
    This space for rent.