Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solutions for and Examples of Laser Video?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

At least two Russian and One American company have publically disclosed RGB AO deflected projection systems with high brightness.
    Not every thing out there is MEMs... Recent improvements in OPO lasers for generating pulsed red and blue have rekindled efforts in this area.
    Some of which are dedicated to flight simulation or theatre projection. Solid State RGB Laser Video has been available in the US since 1997 if you have deep pockets, and Since the late 1980s if you don't mind having 3x 15 watt Ion Lasers and/or a dye head laying around.
    If the OP has serious $$$ in excess of five or six figures to spend, I'll be glad to make introductions as a consultant...
    Otherwise... :-)
    Mainly cause I'm seriously considering applying for a job in this area when current contract expires.
    That and I'm tried of making others rich by providing links.

The "Outdoor Lasers" guys use a AO scanned laser system albeit not the latest and greatest over-layed RGB system.
    Those who say "Fake" don't know about or have missed how obvious the coherent Mie scatter is in some of those pictures. I'm surprised you missed that PJ...
    Why would a Laser video projector not look like a Normal Video Projector?, They CAN have a color gamut that blows away Xenon and Led Sources.
    Ok, so they were only marketed in Russia, Korea, and Japan lately... LCDs got immensely better... But some folks wanted a better color gamut for corporate boardrooms, and got it...
    Karl, check your email, I sent you a link a while back to your old "friends" latest venture. You might be surprised in how far that system has gotten in terms of color/grayscale.
    AO suffers from an inherent physics resolution limit for a single crystal, however these days there is no problem running systems in parallel, unlike the old lamp pumped laser days..
    MEMs has a power density limitation that AO far surpasses.
    Buffo,

All Galvo laser video is more common then you think..
    Resonant scanners at 1/4th H-line have been available for like 15 years now, so one galvo with 4 or more beams scanning bi-directionally are all over the place in lab system acquiring biological images with lasers at PAL and NTSC. I've seen a few of the scan heads on Ebay, and I can EASILY order them and the scan buffer electronics if needed. At 3892.6 Hz or 4187.2 Hz...
    I don't want to get the OPs hopes up, but within a few years laser outdoor video would be possible for some one with deep pockets and a slightly shaded screen. Right now LEDs are ruling for a reason... And that is cost and simplicity, as well as safety. Any Electrical Engineer with 5 years of high speed electronics experience can design a LED video wall. Optical physicists don't grow on trees, so Laser is rarer.
    Right now I can order laser based rear projection video stuff for indoors, too... Brighter then LED, Wider viewing angle then LED (~170') , and modular... With HALF the power consumption of LED.
    Show me the money... I have a bit of an attitude tonight for a reason.
    Kind Regards,

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-10-2015 at 19:20.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

@ "AO suffers from an inherent physics resolution limit for a single crystal," ....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thinking2.gif 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	48598 a tad cryptic! .........care to elaborate ..into a slightly less "concise" description for us moar higorant geezers?
    U sound miffed....
    Cheers
    PS. B has gone off email last few weeks!

Who is "B"? If you're referring to me, I haven't received any e-mails from you recently.?.

As for Steve's comments regarding AOM's, I'm pretty sure he is referring to the limit on how many discrete diffraction points you can set up in the crystal. That is, you can only diffract the beam so far, and within that deflection limit there are a finite number of individual stopping points that can be reliably (and repeatably) accessed. My guess is that this is a fundamental limit based on the frequency of the standing wave and the dimensions of the crystal. So you probably can't get enough horizontal resolution to manage 1920 x 1080 resolution, for example, since 1920 is well beyond this limit for the AOM doing the horizontal scanning.

Gary Stadler (yes, *THAT* Gary Stadler, of Aurora Argon Power Supply fame and renown Burning Man artist) did the "wormhole" effect in the first Star Trek movie (The dumb one with "Viger") using an orange HeNe laser and a pair of AOM's to do the horizontal and vertical scanning. When relating the story of that production to me, he commented on how difficult it was to set up and how they only had one or two degrees of scanning angle to work with. Still a pretty cool effect for 1979 though...

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The spot number limitation (simplified) is basically the inherent deflection angle of the crystal divided by the beam divergence, multiplied by a figure of merit that is always less then one.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...